Weekend Thoughts: The Perfect Father

, , 4 comments
I love my children immensely and would do anything for them. When my children disobey, I do not love them any less. My love for them is not based on whether or not they behave in the store or if they place nicely with each other. I have loved my children since before they were born and the moment I held them for the first time that love multiplied and has grown daily. When my children behave as expected and treat each other with kindness, it brings me great joy. It brings a smile to my face, it blesses my heart and endears them to me. But, I do not love them more because of it.

Realizing this as a parent has given me a new appreciation for how our Heavenly Father feels towards His children, only He does it perfectly. Because of Jesus' death on the cross, when He looks at me, He looks at me like He looks at His perfect Son. His love for me is not based on how good or bad I am. When I act selfishly to my husband and children, when I fail to put God first in my life, he doesn't love me less. And when I obey His word, when I correctly prioritize my life, when I patiently discipline my children, He doesn't love me more. No, having children has helped me to see that when a child obeys it brings a parent great joy but it doesn't earn love. I want to live the kind of life that brings joy to my Father. I want to live my life in such a way that when my Heavenly Father looks down on my actions, He has a smile on His face.

Ephesians 1:5-8


He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will— to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that He lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.


Weekend Thoughts:

My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings of a stay at home wife and mom with three kids. While my days are seldom “normal” enough to leave me without a “post worthy” moment (i.e. read here), I intend to take some time on the weekend to highlight something from my week that’s a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a post from this week, or choose to make a specific “Weekend Thought” post, please feel free to add a link to your post in the comments section. I’d love to hear what others are learning. (Oh, and please don’t feel like you have to have a blog or post a link, to leave a comment ;-) )

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said.
    Mom/Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's a good reflection for us to meditate on as we celebrate fathers tomorrow!

    Here are my weekend thoughts:
    http://mutheringheights.blogspot.com/2008/06/weekend-thoughts-my-papa.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the beautiful thoughts. How perfect a love our Father has for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that! Thank goodness He's a better father than I am a mother.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)