The Knack

, , 15 comments
The other morning I came around the corner to find my 4 year old son unscrewing the screw from the switch plate of our light. He had gotten his chair, pulled it up to the light switch, found the right size Phillips screw driver, and had gotten the screw mostly off. I noticed he had been quiet for awhile when I peeked around the corner to check on him and saw this.


He wanted to see what electricity looked like.


Of course I told him to NEVER, NEVER, EVER, take off light switch plates or outlet plates, EVER, EVER. This event horrified me. This was no kidding dangerous. I praise God he did not get farther then he did. Just last week I said he was smart enough to get himself in trouble someday and this was almost that day. He asked a lot of questions during the power outage and apparently learned a lot.


I couldn't help but think of the Dilbert comic my husband, the engineer, had forwarded home from work before. Looks, like he too might have the knack....






Looking for more laughs? Check out Absolutely Bananas.



(P.S. I yelled at him immediately, the above picture is him screwing the screw back in...forever)

15 comments:

  1. If it hadn't been so close to a disaster it would have been very funny. Even now I sit with a knowing grin on my face. His father grew up to be that engineer. The defect is in the blood, or genes or brain cells.
    Love,
    My grandson's father's Mom - Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is talent! Maybe you could get him to put pretty paper on the switchplates next time.

    Kidding. Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids can scare us so badly!!! I'm glad he didn't get any further!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fear - but I too immediately thought of his father's footsteps that he is following! Hope he learned a serious lesson though

    ReplyDelete
  5. YIKES! I'm glad you caught him in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I guess you have to hide the tools now! Thank goodness he's old enough to understand the danger involved too...

    Maybe he would like some science DVD's instead, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....so completely scary. Kids+Absolute Quiet = Disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, he does have the knack! My kids just put graffiti on the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how they (boys even guys) hold their tongue just right to work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brothers were like that. My mom gave them old appliances to take apart. The trick is to see if he can put it back together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My B is super mechanical too and I see us having the same situation in the future! Get that kiddo some kinetics kits or lots of legos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was too funny! My Uncle is an engineer. He spent forever telling us all about a component he designed that went into the old create a card machines.

    But then he couldn't tell me how to work the machine!

    He's super smart though. It's hard to hold a conversation with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad he wasn't hurt but he is truly a genius to have thought all of that out. Time to get him some electrical sets then he won't burn down the house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My DH and I sure laughed at this one!! We were so busy laughing we didn't even think to be scared! Lucky our kids survived us!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you sure do have a lively time. Never had towatch out for in quiring minds. JUST mucisical instrumintions
    A BIG bass horn and 3 notes

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)