Why I Stopped Listening To Country Music

, , 14 comments

Isn't it amazing how something so simple can trigger a memory so deep?  You hear a song from your past and suddenly you can feel all those emotions and feelings you felt so long ago...it's like it just propels you back in time.

Yea... Faith Hill does that to me.

When Scott and I were dating in college, I spent one memorable Thanksgiving at his family's home.  That evening we were sitting around the dining room table playing Rummikub when I remembered that the Faith Hill TV special was on that evening, and I commented on that fact.  His mom then turned the TV on in the kitchen so we could listen to it while playing the game.  I saw that her husband Tim McGraw was on stage with her and commented something to the effect of, "Oh, this is the song she sings with her husband Tim McGraw, I love this song."

I thought they were singing the song, "It's Your Love."  (don't roll your eyes..I know it's a sappy love song, what can I say, I was young, in love, a complete sap... and about to be humiliated....)

As we sat there playing Rummikub I quickly realized, they weren't singing the song I thought they were.   I tried to avert my impending humiliation and say something to the effect of, "Oh, ya know we don't really need to watch this... uh...let's turn it off and just chat..."  But my future mother in law was so sweet and said something to the effect of, "Oh no, we can watch it, no problem."

I promise the room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.  Suddenly no one was talking and all eyes and ears were on the TV to watch the concert that Crystal, Scott's girlfriend, wanted to watch. 

Yes, let's listen to this song, that she likes so much. 

Here is where I start turning all sorts of shades of red because they aren't singing "It's Your Love", they are singing their other duet, "LET'S MAKE LOVE" and there I am sitting around the table with my boyfriend, his mom, his dad, and his grandparents listening to the lyrics,

"Let's make love
All night long
Until our strength is gone
Hold on tight
Just let go
I want to feel you in my soul
Until the sun comes up
Let's make love"

I am definitely tomato red at this point and am quickly trying to make this very awkward moment just go away...saying something about how they have this other duet they sing which I thought this was, and oops I was wrong... and let's just turn it off... and his dear sweet grandma who is hard of hearing, says, "Turn it up, I can't hear it"  'What are they saying" and it just kept getting louder and louder....

A few years later when Scott and I were picking songs for our reception, my dad so "kindly" suggested, we dance to that Faith Hill song I loved so much.

Yea...I don't think so....

14 comments:

  1. LOLOLOLOL, I can see why you may have been a bit embarrassed. But hey, you got the guy, AND you have a heck of a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that is TOOO Funny, I woul have been sooo red too!! What a great story you have now though. It's good to laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! It gave me a good chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story!! Like you, I would have been so embarrassed. But, hey!, now you have such a great funny story and memories to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. classic crystal! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That is sooooooo funny!!!

    I'm cracking up like crazy!!!! I love your family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww. That's awesome. They love you despite your taste in music :-P.

    I get embarrassed too by songs or scenes in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a little tear in my eye from laughing. this is such a great family story. definitely one for the books. not to be forgotten any time soon! classic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my...so funny! I was feeling for you the whole time I was reading knowing full well where the story was going only because I know Faith and Tim's music pretty well.....I can't even imagine!

    What did you dance to at your wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our first dance was "The Way You Look Tonight" and our last dance was "I've Had The Time of My Life"

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had fun with our last dance at our wedding reception... All of our family is gathered around us, and the music for the 'It's the Right Time of the Night...' is what we played. 'Course, we also played tug of war with my garter belt as the mid point of the rope, so I would say our guests had already had a hint that we were there to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would have crawled under the table!!!!

    My MIL thinks pregnant is a dirty word...she probably would have kicked me out if I did that, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny... I would have wanted to board a Southwest plane...
    ("need to go somewhere fast?") Thanks for sharing!
    - Maribel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I literally have tears in my eyes right now. That is SOOO something that would happen to me. Thanks for the good laugh!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)