An Unthinkable Heartache Too Real For Too Many Moms

, , 4 comments
You know I've complained before about having nothing to eat. I posted a picture of my fridge and said it was "the end of the world as we know it." But the truth is, I know nothing about going hungry. When I look at my fridge and complain about making dinner, there are millions of mothers who would look at the contents and shout with joy. I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of watching my baby go hungry. Watching my children suffer as they literally waste away, while I am helpless to do anything is something beyond my comprehension. If my kids go to bed hungry, it is because they decided the food I prepared for them wasn't to their liking.

Millions of children in the world are going to bed hungry tonight. According to the Compassion International website, "The higher prices are forcing people who survive on just $1 a day to spend upwards of 80 percent of their budgets just on food." I'm sure we've all noticed and felt the toll the rising food costs have taken on our family budget. But while many of us are having to give up some of our luxuries, readjust our vacation plans, or think about how we're going to "make our trips count" so many in the world don't get to enjoy these options. Instead they are making choices such as which meal to skip, or even worse, deciding who in their family will go hungry.

On June 25th, Compassion International is having a day of fasting and prayer for the victims of the Global Food Crisis. I confess I am too often self absorbed and I typically focus on my day and my family. Lately though, God has been placing the poor and impoverished on my heart. As I reach in the fridge to fill up a sippy cup with milk, I think about the moms who have nothing to reach for when her baby cries for food. It breaks my heart and humbles me. These poor moms did no more to deserve their situation than I did to deserve mine. Please join me and others in praying for these individuals on June 25th and remember when you sit down and say grace before your meal, to truly thank God for that food and not just mumble the words we've been saying since we were children.

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings of a stay at home wife and mom with three kids. While my days are seldom “normal” enough to leave me without a “post worthy” moment (i.e. read here), I intend to take some time on the weekend to highlight something from my week that’s a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a post from this week, or choose to make a specific “Weekend Thought” post, please feel free to add a link to your post in the comments section. I’d love to hear what others are learning.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post on our friend Bob's blog from last week.
    Catechism 714

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Happy Mommy posted this yesterday. I sympathized with her struggle and appreciated her children's care and concern.

    Conversations While Driving: The Orphans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a timely post! Sponsoring a child has been weighing heavily on my heart lately. Jordan and I have decided that we definitely feel called to do it. I will be joining you in the day of prayer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are fasting and praying today as well... Here are my thoughts after a day spent at the mall yesterday... http://frazzmom.blogspot.com/2008/06/one-day-in-life.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)