Summer Running

, , 5 comments
Last week I registered for a 10 mile run at the end of August. For over a year now I've been wanting to do this. I ran a 5K for the first time when my son was a year old. I ran two more when my 2 year old was 6 mths old. Until last Tuesday, I hadn't run since.

I waited through one of the mildest winter and spring seasons I've seen here and decided to start running during the week of record breaking heat. Yup, I'm a smart cookie.

I am following Hal Higdon's guide to training for a 15K. If I stick with the program, I'll be all set in time for my race, with even 2 weeks to spare. Good thing I had those cushions worked in there because last week I went strong on Mon and Tues and then when the power went out on Wed, I kinda got off track. I used the excuse that I didn't want to excercise if I couldn't shower afterwards. It made sense until Friday when the power came back on and I still didn't go running.

So Monday, I was back to trying out week one. So far this week I've followed the schedule on Mon, Tues, and Thurs. I had to run 2 miles each time this week, so I am a mere 1/5 of the way toward my goal. Next week I am up to 3 miles which is pretty much the most I ever ran in my life. I am intimidated by this goal, but will feel SO great if when I accomplish it.

So far I've learned a few things from the process.

  • You shouldn't go running in the morning on trash days. The stink of garbage lingers in the trashcans even after the trash has been taken.

  • Running with an MP3 player makes the run pass much more quickly.

  • Having accountability to exercise makes a HUGE difference (Thanks Karen and Jen for registering with me!)


I'm sure as the summer progresses, I'll have more profound wisdom to pass on to you.

5 comments:

  1. you go girl! i'm almost inspired to start running myself, but that sounds like actual work and i'm not so sure i'm ready for that. i'll just live through you for awhile longer. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed! May God be with you. You're doing something alot of us wouldn't even have the courage to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the training - you will be glad when you finish with Karen and Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! You can do it!!!

    Just please promise me you will be careful increasing the amount you're running so quickly...that's how I permanently screwed up my back & pelvis! Just listen to your body and try not to push yourself when you feel your limits. I would be sad to see you get hurt. :(

    All that being said, you will rock the race! I'll be cheering for you from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woohoo! i'm running, too! all signed up for our big day and everything. :) i must add, though, that my running has become much more routine now that the 100 degree weather is gone!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)