Weekend Thoughts: Vacation Bible School

, , 10 comments
This past week our church hosted Vacation Bible School. I love that we do vacation Bible School because it provides a tangible way for our church to reach out and serve our surrounding community. Parents eager for a mid summer break are offered something fun for their kids to get involved in. Kids come to play games, make crafts, meet friends, eat snacks, sing songs and the leave having had a great time. Its great to serve.

But its also a golden oppertunity. Childeren who might not otherwise harken the doors of a church building are made to feel welcome. While playing games they also learn about my Lord Jesus. What an opportunity to show Christ's love to them and to teach them the Word of God.

I have served in several different capacities over the years but this was the first year that my son got to be involved in the program. Watching it through his eyes was one of my favorite parts. IMG_3844 I looked forward to watching his preschool class wave to me as they walked outside to see the animals. Each day as my son eagerly showed me his completed crafts and told me about his morning, I was grateful for the volunteers who poured themselves into my child. As he enthusiastically prepared to go to church each morning and made sure I met his teachers, I was so thankful for people who were willing to invest in my child.

Children's ministry is a chance to serve not only the children of the community, but their families as well. When a parents sees someone give of their time and energy to serve their child, it blesses their heart. I know this first hand. So, parents that might not otherwise harken the doors of a church building come for 5 days and witness God's people sacrificing their time and energy to invest in their children. Many came on parents night to watch their children performs their songs, and they had the opportunity to hear God's Word. Serving at VBS is much, much more than just gluing popsicle sticks and painting cardboard with children looking for something to do on a hot July week. VBS provides a rare, golden opportunity for our church to demonstrate Christ's love and share His Word with our community.

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings here at the circus. While my days are seldom “normal” enough to leave me without a “post worthy” moment, I use my last post of the week to highlight something a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a thoughtful post from this last week, or choose to make a new one, please feel free to add a link in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what others are learning.

10 comments:

  1. Yes - VBS has historically been such a great outreach to our communities. I am looking forward to our summer mission trip to NYC to reach the children of Washington Heights with God's love. I pray that we will make as much of an influence in their families lives as you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those children grow up to be adults who remember their VBS days with fondness. A seed that is planted that hopefully will be watered along the way and one day a commitment made to Christ. A couple in our church started coming recently because she remembered it years before as her "VBS church". Lives eternally touched:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad it went well :) Ours did too...God always seems to manage to out-do my expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the main things we love about our church is it has a large youth group. Our daughter is too young now, but we know in the future she'll make good friends and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read this post on Becky's blog. I found it very eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out this post to read Jessie's weekend thoughts on the Biblical significance of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh VBS... The only time I ever did one was in Costa Rica & that was an experience! Here, I just teach in the preschool Sunday school twice a month--but it was way more rewarding than I thought it would be when I first volunteered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link love :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Crystal,
    I'm glad the video touched you. It really opened my eyes to the reality of how large that number really is. Have a wonderful weekend!

    : ) Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing outreach. It really shows the spiritual significance of simple actions!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)