My Need for Goals

, , 12 comments

I didn't used to be a procrastinator, but now that I have 3 kids, I tend to take care of the urgent first.  This means that sometimes my really good plans get altered when real life sets in.   I have found that if I want to tackle a large project or extra thing (extra being not laundry, groceries, cleaning, cooking... those necessities of life) I need to make a self-imposed deadline in order for it to happen.  It needs its own "urgency" so to speak.

When my first born turned one I made a scrapbook of his first year.  I finished it shortly before his first birthday so I was able to sit it out at his first birthday party for friends and family to skim through.  2 years later when my daughter was born, I made a similar book for her.  As I sat down every night for a month working on it I told myself with my next child I will work a little each month so I don't have such a monumental task in front of me with three kids vying for my attention at the same time.   I really intended to work on it a little each month. 

That's not exactly how book number three happened.  In fact, I didn't even leave myself a month.  I cropped the first picture only one week before her party and I spent every night last week working on her book.  I finished the book at 3 am the night before her party.  I knew that not many people would look at the book at the party but I also knew that if I didn't sit down and finish it before her party, chances are she would be graduating high school with a half finished baby book.   So,I cropped, taped, and laid out the pages of her book, driven by this self imposed deadline. 

IMG_5391 It worked!  I now have a completed 45 spread baby book for my baby girl.  I know without this goal, I'd be sitting with an empty book right now. 

The only way I can make progress on "extracurriculars" is by setting goals and working to achieve them.  Often times I give myself a monthly to do list.  This approach works for me, it keeps me from getting defeated when life gets busy.  For other tips that work for others, check out Rocks in My Dryer.

12 comments:

  1. Great tip! Unfortunely, I have trouble sticking to my own deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I have to set myself goals, which is why I have to work with a COW each week (Chore of the Week)...otherwise I get lost in all the 'fluff n stuff' of my everyday life.

    What a neat idea to have a book on display at the party - I've never heard of this before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and a job well done. Pop and I were at the big party and you would never know Crystal was working on so little sleep. there were about 35 people 14 of which were 4 years and under. What a happy circus that was.

    With much love and admiration,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the exact thing by setting myself goals for doing something. I recently went through all of my pictures since my daughter was born. I organized them by date, made albums, finished her baby book and really enjoyed looking through the pictures. I gave myself a deadline and it worked for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott (Crystal's Hubby)Wednesday, July 23, 2008

    I'm still amazed you pulled the scrapbook off. Amazing. Thanks for all your hard work - we will treasure that book for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a GREAT tip! I could have used it a couple of years ago (my daughter is 2 1/2 and I'm just now working on her baby book). Thankfully I recently discovered digi-scrapping with Photoshop, so it's a lot easier. I don't have to lug out my huge bag and there's no scissors/cutting blades/glue left out on the floor for her to get into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I am such the procrastinator and haven't found much yet that "works" for me - my problem is I don't do well with self-imposed much of anything! My son is 22 mos and I think I have...maybe 3 whole LOs done in his scrapbook...adding to the procrastination is perfectionism, which seem to go hand-in-hand and make me struggle big time! Thanks for some motivation to get moving! His party will be in a few months, and I'd love to have something to show!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have ADD and I work better with deadlines too. I've found that if I know something has to be done by a certain date, I'll get it done, but if it can be done "whenever," it isn't likely to happen. The only problem is I need to learn that it is ok to set deadlines for the things I enjoy doing, not just things like laundry. I also need to learn to stick to my own deadlines - within reason, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need goals, too. I wish my family did! They are such ardent procrastinators, and don't seem to mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a FANTASTIC job and I am sure that she will treasure this album someday. Amazing what you can do when driven to meet that deadline. When will you get caught up on all of the sleep you missed last week?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Now I need an inforcer to beat me if I miss a deadline. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip!! Will try it with my next project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)