Weekend Thoughts: Teaching Children Biblical Truths

, , 4 comments

Our church has a catechism class for 4-9 year olds that meets weekly on Sunday evenings.  This year I will be co-teaching my sons class on the beginning catechism.  Throughout the course of the year he will work to memorize the first 48 questions in the Westminster Shorter Catechism.  

I am really excited about this because the catechism provides an easy way to teach and remember vital Biblical truths.  

For example here are the first five catechism questions.

 

1.  Q. Who made you?

      A. God.

2.  Q. What else did God make?

     A.  God made all things.

3.  Q. Why did God make you and all things?

      A. For his own glory.

4.  Q. How can you glorify God?

      A. By loving him and doing what he commands.

5.  Q. Why are you to glorify God?

      A. Because he made me and takes care of me.

 

My son knows these and my 2 year daughter even knows the first three questions.  These first three questions are so vital.  From them they learn that they were created by God with a purpose.  And the purpose for each of our lives is to glorify God.   Our family starts each day praying that each of us would bring God glory with our lives for we know that is why He created us. 

The catechism questions are a tool which help us as we raise our children.  One Sunday my son was in one of those moods.  You know those moods your children get when their answer to everything is "No" and it all comes out in a whine?  As we were getting them out of their car seats he grumbled that he didn't want to go to church.  I looked right at him and asked, "Why did God make you"  He replied "for His own glory."  Right I replied.  "And why do we glorify God?"  He answered, "because he made me and takes care of me."  Exactly I responded, and one way we can glorify God is by going to church and worshipping him even when we don't feel like it because he is worthy of our worship.  

The catechism questions are more than just a list of questions and answers to be memorized.  They provide a practical way to learn Biblical truths and apply them in our everyday life.  I am really excited about learning and applying these truths as I teach my son's class this year. 

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings here at the circus  but, I use my last post of the week to highlight something a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a thoughtful post from this last week, or choose to make a new one, please feel free to add a link in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you are thinking.

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how simple questions or statements can redirect a child's behavior and attitude. When my boys are acting up or being sassy, I simply ask, "What do you say?" They know the answer to this is, "Yes, Mommy." For example, when I ask them to go upstairs to make their beds and they huffily stomp away to do it, I ask that question. It's usually enough to remind them that foot stomping is not the proper response to a request from Mommy.

    I like the catechism idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog through Running From the Little People... and I am so happy I did. Your post is not only very thoughtful and poignant, but it brought me way, way, way back to my own Catechism experience when I was a little girl. I lived in California at the time, and I was a shy little girl. I remember so clearly my mom dropping me off in a very beautiful and sunny classroom at a school right next to our church. The teacher was very kind... and the first lesson was the 5 questions you write about here. I felt so safe and happy. I felt surrounded by God. I have never lost that feeling, but it took your post to bring it all back so wonderfully! I even remember being given the homework assignment to memorize the answers to the questions... and I did. I felt so important! Wow. Thank you for this beautiful post! (I am now a grandma to 9... and I always still feel surrounded by God and his glory!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good program for the kids. I think it's a good thing for them to get such an understanding of it BEFORE they become teens. I think it's a wonderful age to start teaching such immportant things about their faith.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)