I Miss Her

, , 18 comments

 Baptism 055 

Today is my husband's grandma's birthday.  Sadly, she isn't here to celebrate with us as the Lord took her home this past February.  

I think of her often and miss her.  She used to love to bump heads with our kids.  She'd lean forward so their foreheads touched and say, "bump."  My youngest will do it from time to time with me and every time I think to myself, "Grandma would have loved that!"  When the family's all together and I'm serving dessert I can almost here her say, "Hey that's too small a slice!" Certain frilly, pink dresses that the girls wear or bows in their hair remind me of her as I know she'd love them.   And anytime I take the girls out without their socks or shoes on I can hear her scold me as well! 

Every time this song comes on the radio, I think of Grandma and Grandpa and every time I hear it, the tears come to my eyes and start trickling down my face.

They left a rich legacy for their family of a godly marriage and love.  No one could doubt the love they had for each other.   Grandpa is a picture of a gentleman and she was a true lady.  He took care of her every need with love and grace as her health failed her near the end.   Scott sat with them both at the hospital as she died, watching his Grandpa walk his Grandma home after over 60 years of marriage.    Their love is an inspiration for us all. 

How I wish we could serve her some cake and ice cream tonight!

*When I was looking through my hard drive for pictures for our digital frame, I came across the above picture.  It was taken over four years ago at a cookout for my son's baptism.   I don't think it ever made it into a scrapbook, so I'm sharing it with all of you for Kristen's Me to You Carnival.   Unlike many of the pictures I share for this carnival, it definitely belongs in a scrapbook.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you.
    Your husband's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure sounds like a great woman. Tears running down my face. Hard to lose someone that close. A wonderful tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dh has a wonderful grandma we call "Sugars" ...she's still here but it's always touch and go...sweet post

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful tribute. Wonderful picture. I'm so sorry for ya'll's loss. You are keeping her alive by sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful inspiration for us all. Thank you for sharing your story and picture with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you got to know her, and that she made such a wonderful impact on, well, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you, crystal. this is a great way to remember her birthday. when i saw her birthday pop up on my calendar yesterday, i wondered how i'd celebrate. i think a call to grandpa is in order. i love you guys for loving her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful to have had such great living examples in our lives. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful thoughts, she would be pleased I think!

    What a blessing to have people that impact our lives that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing that touching story. Sounds like she definitely left a legacy. I think your husband resembles her in that picture. Definitely scrapbook material!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! What a beautiful post. I'm sure she would be so proud of what you wrote today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful lady she must have been. I still have one grandma and two grandpas and they mean so much. My kids think they're ancient, but they love to sit and listen to their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tears falling - she is greatly missed, especially at your holiday and birthday events. She was always there, loving it :-) Our hearts and prayers go out to ALL of the family today. This was a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry that you're missing her today, but what a great comfort for your family to know that she's celebrating with Jesus today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was beautiful! I know you have many wonderful memories of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful tribute to a special woman. I love that song. Sounds like you have such good memories of her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We lost my mother-in-law last month in a car crash. Her husband was driving and it was there 48th wedding anniversary the day she died. This song reminds me of them. He always took care of her. At first I thought it was the worst day she could have died. Right on there anniversary. Now I think it is poetic. They were seperated the same day they were joined. We keep there memories alive by sharing them with others. We miss her but we will always have a piece of her with us. We love you mema!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blah! Good one sweetheart and I'm sorry for you loss!

    love you!
    R

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)