Ahoy there Matey!

, , 8 comments

IMG_8222Incase you missed it, mark your calendars for next year...this past Friday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day (Sept 19th).   I told you in my About Page that I like to celebrate holidays...you can see that I wasn't kidding!  The kids were looking forward to the big day all week long!  Daddy came home from work at lunch to join us for the mid day festivities.

The first thing on our agenda was to "raise the jolly roger up yonder pole!" (atop my son's sailboat bed). 

IMG_8195 We then ate our pirate cuisine...chicken right on the bones (aka drumsticks) with cannon ball snack puffs and pumpernickel bread (because pirates love pumpernickel my son said, but really the truth is he LOVES pumpernickel and since it was a special occasion, I treated him)!  We also ate shark fruit snacks (b/c they were the most piratey fruit snack I could find). 

IMG_8193 My son has become an "expert" on pirates through various library books over the years.  From them we've gleaned that pirates chew with their mouths full, are bad guys, stand on the table, and don't wear underwear.   My son was quite excited to talk with his mouth full (as if he never does this any other time) but I drew the line with going commando!   My favorite quote of the day was when we were getting ready to take the above family photo.  I told my son that we just needed to set the timer to take this picture real quickly and then we could eat our lunch.  He looked at me with a very serious expression and said, "Mom, we're not really pirates, we still need to pray before we eat!"  What a sweet buccaneer he is!

IMG_8202 After taking some time out for a little sword fighting (even our youngest got in on the action)Daddy returned to work. But not without a quick rendition of dancing and singing with us to "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything"  courtesy of Veggie Tales and You Tube.    After he left we took some time to read a few pirate library books and color some pirate coloring pages.   A truly good time was had by all and I think we've got the beginning of a new tradition at our house!

8 comments:

  1. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fun idea! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a blast! I'm sure you will be able to do so many MORE fun activities on this day as they get older too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arg, me missed me pirates day matey.
    Maybe next year. You are such fun parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. man. you totally win the cool mom award. not just for having the funnest pirate day ever (shark bites? classic!), but teaching your good little boy to pray before he eats. even if he says it with his mouth full. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew TLAPD was coming up, but then I completely forgot about it and missed the day! Lame!! If you don't already have it, your son will love the book _Pirateology_. It has a lot of interactive things in the book and tells a neat story. He may be just a tad young for it right now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad everyone had such a great time. So cool that the boss let Daddy come home for lunchtime with the pirates!!!!! Hope that you continue to find more fun days to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you all had a fabulous time being pirates for the day! I will have to mark my calendar for next year - as my little guy is totally all about pirates and knights.

    Where ever do you find out about these kid-cool "holidays"?

    Yay You for being the too-cool-for-words-Mom!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)