Weekend Thoughts: Are You Letting Your Light Shine?

, , 3 comments

Last week in our Catechism Class, I taught the kids the song "This Little Light of Mine."  We talked about how we can let our lights shine and how we can hide our light.  We played a game where I would name some actions (like obeying your parents, or hitting your sister) and then the kids had to say if that action let their light shine or covered it up. (They got to turn the flashlight off or on when it was their turn to answer the question).

This week before and after preschool my son and I have discussed this.  I reminded him that when he goes to school, he needs to think about letting his light shine.  This afternoon my son said to me, "Mom, I let my light shine today."  I asked him how, and he said, "I sat criss cross applesauce when my teacher told me to."  I affirmed to him that obeying his teacher is definitely a way to let his light shine.  I plan to carry this further and have this discussion throughout the day, especially during the now common sibling fights which occur.

I am hoping that by starting this dialect early I can teach my children to think practically each day about how they can let their lights shine for Jesus in this world. I also want to teach them to analyze their actions to see if they accomplished this goal.   (And when they fail, to lead them in confessing their sins).

The same needs to be true in my life.  At the end of the day, can I list ways in which I let my light shine?  Hmmm... was I letting it shine or covering it with a basket (aka hide it under a bushel) when I was waiting in the line at the store, sopping up my flooded basement, avoiding my neighbor...

This simple children's song can be used as a tool for discipleship in my family as I strive to teach my children to live their lives as lights in the dark world and to let their lights shine for Jesus through their everyday actions.

 

Philippians 2:14-16 (New International Version)

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.

 

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings here at the circus  but, I use my last post of the week to highlight something a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a thoughtful post from this last week, or choose to make a new one, please feel free to add a link in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you are thinking.

3 comments:

  1. thanks so much for this, crystal! once again you have inspired me. i love how such simple things can convict us and how our children continue to sanctify us daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. All too often - by the end of the day - our light was not shining for Jesus as much as it should have. Thanks for spurring me onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time I changed my bulb! Thanks for keeping us in check.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)