Weekend Thoughts: True Beauty

, , 5 comments

sisters (2)

I was brushing my daughter's hair the other day when I noticed how long and pretty it was getting. 

Me:  Wow, your hair is getting long and so pretty

Daughter: No I'm not

Me:  Why not?  What do you want it to be?

Daughter: I want to be nice and kind.

(My son starts giggling at this point)

Me: Hmmm that's good, but you can be nice and kind and still have pretty hair.

Daughter: No

This conversation can mostly be chocked up to the stubborn desire of a two year old to go against whatever her Mommy was saying, BUT... there is some truth to the words.  

1 Peter 3:3-4 states, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

While there is nothing wrong with being pretty, our focus should not be on our outward appearance, but on our inner self.  As I raise my daughters, I hope I can raise them to be truly beautiful women of God.

 

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings here at the circus  but, I use my last post of the week to highlight something a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a thoughtful post from this last week, or choose to make a new one, please feel free to add a link in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you are thinking.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like I have some catching up to do on circus life~what a truly wonderful post about inner beauty. It is so easy to get caught up thinking about our outward appearance and forget about what our heart looks like. I'm sure you will do a fine job instilling such values in your daughters.

    I must go check out the video below...14 comments! It must be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very true! I am studying "Women of Worth" at Women's Bible Study and this goes very well with our lessons :-) I will be sure to share it with the other women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm actually planning to post one along the same lines in the coming weeks...we certainly think a lot alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome she wants to be a good person vs pretty. We put too much into our looks. We try to tell Madi she's good and smart just as much as pretty.
    But man, her hair is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable! Your blog is great, thanks for sharing. I've seen you on Mrs. Querido's page and thought I'd stop by yours... Feel free to check out mine as well. Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)