Praying for my Kids

, , 18 comments

A few years ago a woman from my church passed out these prayer cards written by Bob Hostetler to the ladies in our MOPS group.  Each card had 31 Biblical Virtues to pray for your children, with verses included. 

I thought this was a great idea and instantly tucked it away inside my Bible.

Only to forget about it and lose track of it with all the other papers stuffed in there.

While doing some cleaning recently I stumbled across the card again and decided to put it up on my fridge instead.  Because the kitchen is pretty much the center of my home and where I spend the majority of my time it seems. 

With the card up on my fridge, I see it throughout the day and am prompted to pray for that days virtue for my children.  I am so excited to pray more specifically for my kids.  Not only does the card help me with that, but it also has helped me to focus in on the traits that I want to be instilling in my children.  It serves as a great reminder to me of what we are striving for. 

I’ve also gone through the list and picked out a specific trait that I am consistently praying for each individual child.  They are traits that I see them currently struggling with and it has helped me to focus on working on that with that child.

So, we are working on self-control for one, kindness for another, and respect for a third.  With these in mind, when I discipline them and correct them I am trying to really hone in on those virtues and also to praise them when I see them exhibiting these traits.    As they grow, or as new needs arise, I am sure I will find other traits to focus on, but for right now, these are the areas I am concentrating on with each individual child.

And I love the prayers that go with them… just listen… (or read, I suppose)

For self control:  “Father help my children not to be like many others around them, but let them be alert and self-controlled in all they do.”  1 Thes 5:6

For kindness:  “Lord, may my children always to try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.”  1 Thes. 5:15

For respect:  “Father grant that my children may show proper respect to everyone, as your Word commands.”  1 Peter 2:17

There are so many wonderful prayers on here… for salvation, love for God’s word, heart for missions, courage, purity… it really has been a wonderful tool for me over the past few weeks and I hope to keep up with it. 

I want to be an intentional and prayerful mother.  That is my goal.  Some days I just survive and make it through, but this little card on my fridge, is helping give focus and direction to my mothering.

If your interested in the card, you can click here and download the card for free.   I highly suggest putting it in a place you look at often, as that has definitely worked for me in following through with the prayers.

Do you shop at Amazon?  If so, please click here to read more about how you can help me help those suffering in Sudan without costing you anything more than a click of your mouse.  Together we had raised $280 dollars total as of January, but since then thinks have drastically slowed down.  Just wanted to remind you of this simple opportunity to help as you purchase birthday gifts and other things throughout the year.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you--I can't locate the chart of verses/prayers for children by Ginny? or whoever (we received them through MOPS too) and this is wonderful. And let me substitute the words "me" or "I" for "my children" to help me through some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Julie.. I too have found myself adapting the prayers for myself also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made myself some of these a few years ago and just stopped doing them after awhile. Thank you so much for the download of 31 virtues. I don't think I had that many! Great idea about posting them up to insure they get read. I love posts like these! I'm excited to make some more cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!! And thank you for the link. I'm going to print it out for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really great! do you ever find yourself in the middle of praying and then suddenly not praying for like the past 10 minutes?
    Oh, that NEVER happens to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm nearly positive I just used the very last bit of my printer ink (that's been telling me its been low for a sweet forever) but I can't think of anything better to use that last bit of ink on! Totally awesome and going right to my fridge also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! We moms need to be more faithful pray-ers - especially for our families.

    For years, I've kept a little notebook on my kitchen window sill - I keep it chip clipped open to whatever page of requests I'm praying for and just keep going through it as I work in the kitchen throughout the day. So I really appreciate your new fresh ideas - a very timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Niki here, stopping over from WFMW. I just wanted to pop in and check out your blog. I like what I see so far.

    Stop by my blog, Free 2 Be Frugal, when you get a chance!

    Great ideas here about praying for your kiddos. My mom's devotional bible has a page in it with something similar. The idea of carrying a card is a great one though.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that link. I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I have a list of things to pray for my kids but this will be more concentrated. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Downloaded and printed. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Thank you for this information! What wonderful ides to help with praying. Each night, I pray for my oldest son's future wife. Is that strange? He is not quite 13. ha. I pray that she is living in a Godly home, is happy and healthy and that they will know each other instantly when God's timing is perfect. I LOVE to pray for my children..it is an honor!

    Again thank you for the link to download. So cool!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to download the verses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the idea of those cards. I often find myself at a loss for exactly the words to pray for my kids. Is there anyway i can get those cards...or the list of virtues and prayers?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just printed it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh. little slow these days. got it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)