Weekend Thoughts: One Tiny Match

, , 7 comments

Have you ever experienced complete darkness?  I’m not talking about shutting out the lights before you crawl under the covers, but total darkness.  In our electronic world of LEDs, it’s something we don’t often experience. 

During our time exploring Carlsbad earlier this week, the ranger brought us into a cavern 830 feet below the earth and shut off the lights.  No flash lights.   No matches.  No floor lights. Nothing.

It was dark.

As in, total darkness.

As in, so dark I literally held my hand in front of my face and saw nothing.

Then she lit a match and suddenly that one match lit up the entire cavern.

It’s amazing how much light one match can put off.  Honestly, I don’t know which struck me more, the black of darkness or the amount of light cast by that one match.

I got to thinking about this world.  We know it’s a dark place.  The Bible talks of it often.  And sometimes in this day and age, you really feel it, don’t you?   Sometimes you turn on the TV, or enter your place of work, or walk out in your street and it seems you can see the darkness everywhere.  You wonder where the other Christians are.  Why does it feel so evil and cold? 

Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

You might feel alone in this dark world.  But when you live for Christ, when you let his light shine in your life, you are the light of the world.  And one light, one small little match, can light an entirely dark cavern.  One light can make a difference. 

So, I encourage you to let your light shine around you.  You don’t need to wait until you have an entire candelabra to light the room.  One tiny little match can make a difference.   1 John 5-7, “God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” 

Weekend Thought ButtonWhat are you thinking about this week? Why not use your last post of the week to highlight something a bit "deeper" then the average “Momblog” fair?  I’d love to read your thoughts.  Please feel free to write and link up a  “thoughtful” post below.  You can write a new post or link up one you wrote earlier in the week.  Please include a link back to here in your post.

7 comments:

  1. This is such an important thought for us to remember! I've heard it said that darkness can't overcome light, but even a tiny flicker of light can overcome darkness. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Crystal. It is so easy to feel blinded in the darkness of society. And it can also be easy to blend right in with it. I feel inspired to let my light shine a little brighter this week. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

    And looky who got herself all linked up? It took me long enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blind in one eye, so total darkness has always been a fear of mine. I guess I've just always feared losing sight in the other eye.

    I listened to Jennifer Rothschild speak this summer at the conference I went to. She is completely blind, but not in darkness at all. The light of Jesus shines off of her and in her so much. Hearing her really took away my fear.

    I hope I can be a match in this dark world, to have that kind of light coming from me. I know it is just pointing people's hearts to Jesus even when I don't have the answers. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement! I think especially for those of us that spend the majority of our time in non Christian circles, this is a great reminder of our calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have witnessed something very similar to that myself it is quite breathtaking! And a wonderful example of what we are called to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are the light of the world.
    and there are times we will be the only light among the darkness.
    but Jesus said He will never leave us or forsake us.
    so even in the midst of being a lone light,
    the light of God is the stronger than even the loneliness.
    this is so easy to say, and so hard to live.
    thanks for your insight and the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)