Tackling the Entry Way

, , 14 comments

Recently I decided the entry way to our home needed a face lift.  For the past 6 years I’ve had a narrow card table covered with a table cloth and some seasonal decor on the top.  Sounds classy huh?

Well last month I decided my table had to go. 

This left me with a bare white wall. 

IMG_0940

Nothing says “home sweet home” like a big empty wall of blah.

So, Friday night my dear friend and I painted the town red.  Or my entry “leather bond.”

IMG_0945

I did a second coat on Saturday morning, but after further inspection, it’s been decided that it could use one more coat.  I was going to put off the post until I could give you a photo without the lovely blue tape borders, but we’re not there yet. 

IMG_1026 

I’m still not sure what to do with the space.  I’ve thought of perhaps getting a bench to put in there.  Though part of me likes the extra space as you come in the door and go up the stairs.  Sometimes the circus crew needs space, ya know?  And I am hesitant to give us something to deposit our junk on when we walk in the door. 

I’m toying with what to put on the wall.  My current thought is to go with a vinyl wall decor.  If I went this route, I don’t know what to choose….something sappy, a Bible verse, something silly, our name… any thoughts?  I’m stumped.

I am open to something else entirely, so if you see this wall and have a bright idea, or any idea really, of something, cheap  inexpensive that would make it look homey, please share your thoughts. 

And click here, if you’re interested in seeing what others are tackling this week.

14 comments:

  1. It looks great! I have so much I'd love to do around the house Good for you for getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red!!!! A nice big piece of wall art would be lovely. Do you have Kirklands where you live? It's cool stuff for a decent price. You could do a family wall, maybe with Live, Laugh, Love chunky letters in the middle and pics of family all around it!!! Whateva you decide I'm sure it'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good!!! You did a great job with the painting. The vinyl letters always look so neat. I've been tempted to try them. This looks like a great place for them, but as cheekymonkey said, whatever you decide will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Definately warms up that space! I was thinking of the same thing as cheekymonkey with "Live, Laugh, Love"..or one of those primitive family sayings. We don't have Kirklands up here in NY, but my mom does in TN and it's great. You can find some similar things at Home Goods up here on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a motivational quote would be great, something that represents your family and how you all feel about life so people know what to expect of all of you as soon as they walk in the door

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've always been a fan of vinyl lettering. i live the "as for me and my house" verse - but i'm partial to verses. with a nice bench underneath and a few baskets for all those circus shoes. it might just work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go to Hobby Lobby or somewhere like that and get a giant canvas. You pick the paint colors, too. You can use those cheap ones they sell in the art department. Then let the kids go for it. That way the colors go with your wall/decor, and the kids' art is prominently on display.

    I do like the bench/baskets idea for underneath it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looking good and then you can sit back and see how well you did when you get it done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..it looks good! It's amazing what a coat (or two) of paint can do!! What about putting a mirror on the wall???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Done and Done! Good eye Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the red...I'm a fan of warm colors like that! If you do go the bench route, we have this and really like it...it comes with the baskets so ends up being really reasonably priced (I shipped to the store so it was free). http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?deptid=57087&catid=60102&grptyp=PRD&itemid=14c25ea&dep=Furniture&pcat=Entryway&cat=Benches&refpagename=X3%252Easpx&refdeptid=57087&refcatid=59202&cmAMS_T=X3&cmAMS_C=C1&CmCatId=57087|59202

    I don't know why the link is so long...if it doesn't work let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I actually have the bench that Megan linked to above. It is great. Though, I'd probably just hang a piece of art there if I were you. Space is good! Though, a bench with storage is handy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know i'm a little late on this comment, but I haven't seen this wall yet, and I LOVE it!! I have always been partial to burgundy-ish paint. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)