Weekend Thoughts: Our Power Song

, , 5 comments

You know your family is a techno family when your 5 year old requests that you add a song to your ipod so he can listen to it.  Today, my son did just that and I was more than happy to oblige him with this choice.  The “theme song” for our Vacation Bible School this year was “Today is the Day” by Lincoln Brewster.  They sang it every morning at the start of VBS.  It had the kids jumping and praising.  Can’t think of a better start to the day.  2 weeks later and it is still in my son’s head and he wanted me to download it so we could sing along at home with frequency. 

I have many playlists on my ipod.  One for running, one for kids songs, one for worship music, one with love songs,  and one I entitled “upbeat fun” specifically designed to get us moving and grooving during those difficult 4-6pm hours of the day. 

In addition to my ipod, I have a little gadget called the nike+ipod.  I plug one part into my nano and one part slips into my shoe.  I use it while running and it has many great features (tracks my distance, rate, over all time...just to name a few).  One of my favorite features is called the “power song” which you can play when you need instant motivation.  It’s nice to be able to program in “the one song that always gets you through the home stretch.”

After my son requested his song, I got to thinking we could put that “power song” principal into effect at our house.  When we’ve got a case of the grumpies (myself included) or we’re fighting, or short tempered…I can play our “power song” to get us through the home stretch.  To redirect our thoughts and attitudes and get them in the right perspective.  The song needs to be upbeat and fun, so we can let loose and dance a little.  But, it can’t just be a silly song.  Silly songs are great, but for our power song, I want it to direct us back to God.  I think our power song will change from time to time.  We’ll find new songs that resonate with us in a particular way and I can change it up a bit.  But, for now I am going to give this new song a try.  I’ll have it in my ipod on a playlist called “power song” and when I feel we need instant motivation, I will go and turn it on and see if it helps give all of us an attitude adjustment.  

I know personally, this week as I was focused on my to do list, I found myself a bit uptight from time to time.  I snapped more than I should have.   There were definite moments where I could have used a step back to gain some perspective (enter the power song). 

I like the lyrics of the song, “Today is the day you have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.”  (Originally penned by the psalmist David).  I want to rejoice in each day the Lord has made.  Not just the days where I get everything done that I wanted.  Not just the days that the kids got along beautifully.  Not just the days where we relaxed and had fun together.  I want to teach myself and my kids to rejoice in each day.  To see each day as a gift from God, and no matter the circumstances we can rejoice in that day. 

Crank it up and rejoice with us today!! 

 

Weekend Thought ButtonWhat are you thinking about this week? Why not use your last post of the week to highlight something a bit "deeper" then the average Momblog fair?  I’d love to read your thoughts.  Please feel free to write and link up a  “thoughtful” post below.  You can write a new post or link up one you wrote earlier in the week. 

5 comments:

  1. That's a great one to use as your "power song!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! We definitely need a "power song" at our house from time to time, especially from 4-6. That is often our rough patch in the day too! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that song! lincoln brewster is SO one of my favorite artists because he makes me praise the lord whether i feel like it or not.
    what a fantastic concept. i think i may need to steal that one from you. it's really really a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea, Crystal! (Although I must admit I was glad to hear I am not the only one who tends to get a bit snappy and short when on cleaning missions....however, I must learn that life is not always about a perectly clean house.) I can't wait to hear your power song on Monday at work since my home computer's speakers do not work. I love the lyrics that you shared, though. I always like that song in church "This is the day, this is the day that the Lord hath made. We will rejoice, we will rejoice and be glad in it and be glad in it..."

    Well, internet is back up (as you can tell) and I did link up. Sorry for linking up late in the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a song like that. For me it's:
    Oh no you never let go
    through the calm and through the storm!
    I bet you know this one. :)
    I miss YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)