The Sweet Taste of Success

, , 7 comments

Those of you that have been part of the circus for awhile, know that I seriously lack a green thumb

I guess you could call me naive, but this spring I decided to try again.  Much like peach picking, my goal in gardening is to teach my kids.  So, I didn’t go for  huge garden with hopes of providing a summer’s worth of produce.  Instead, I opted for a few plants that we could watch grow and hopefully taste the fruits of our labor. 

Last night I took a look at the garden.  Now I know a seasoned gardener would have been checking up on her plants all along.  But you all know I am not a seasoned gardener. 

We’ve got some tomatoes and peppers that should be ripe soon! 

home grown tomatoes

home grown peppers

But we don’t have to wait any longer to enjoy one of our sweet successes!

Check this bad boy out!

check out that zucchini

I was delightfully surprised when I uncovered this zucchini!

this one's ready for mom's zucchini bread recipe

The kids and I will be baking some home made zucchini bread tomorrow using my mom’s recipe.   Every time I make it, I laugh.  In high school, my good friend Jami came over and we devoured an entire loaf of bread.   At that time, my mom used to make tons of low fat recipes from weight watchers, and I assumed that this one was low fat as well.  I told my friend it was fat free so we could just keep eating and eating. Years later when I made it myself, I realized I couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Not exactly low fat, but it is delicious!! 

Mom’s Zucchini Bread  

makes 2 loaves

Ingredients: 

3 eggs                                                       1 cup oil

2 cups sugar                                           3 tsp vanilla                        

2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini

3 cups flour                                            1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder                       1 tsp salt

3 tsp cinnamon                                      1/2 cup walnuts

1/2 cup chocolate chips (technically optional)  But, I say they are a must!

Beat eggs slightly; add oil, sugar and vanilla.  Mix well.  Stir in zucchini.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix well and pour into two greased loaf pans.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until bread test done in center with a toothpick.

Makes a very moist bread!! 

7 comments:

  1. I made an almost identical recipe today (2 batches)! Left the nuts out, but added 1/2c chocolate chips. Made it last week, too. My family loves it. Make sure you have enough flour sugar and eggs, because that zucchini is big enough for at least a triple batch! Don't forget to take out the seeds when you are using a zucchini that big. They get really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! That is a sweet success! Your green pepper looked promising too!

    You go with your green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, Thanks for the tips on the zucchini. I wouldn't have known what to do about the seeds and didn't realize it was big enough for so many batches. I will def get to freeze some for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE zucchini bread! i'm a little jealous of you since i've never had good luck growing zucchini. which is weird since i don't think they are that difficult. enjoy the bread tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just ate the first of our green beans for dinner tonight! I am loving the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I always think of you and Jami when I make my bread :-) I agree - a large zucchini makes a couple batches easily. I made and froze about 10 loaves this summer. I also tried a "lite" version this year with eggbeaters, applesauce for the oil, and half sugar half splenda (turned out pretty good) We are so proud of your gardening efforts - Hurray!! Bet the kiddos were surprised also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hay thought of you last week. Corinna & I made Zucchini
    cake. We made the recipe bread also. BUT we put the dough in to CUP-CAKE PANS WITH PAPER .incerts. Corinna likes this idea you just give each child a cup cake. We used the apple sauce instead of oil. I am sending you the reciepes.1batch makes about 24 cupcakes. proud to hear of your garden glad it is growing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)