The Lucky Ones

, , 17 comments

Remember back in high school when you were positive that you were going to stay BFF with your group of girl friends?  You were positive you were going to marry your high school sweetheart... When I was in high school my friends and I dreamed of growing up, getting married, and living in the same neighborhood.

While that dream didn't exactly pan out, our friendship has remained strong.  And 5 of the 6 of us actually went on and married our high school boyfriends.  Still working on the neighborhood though.

Cabin2002 In the mean time we've set aside Labor Day Weekend as a time when we get together with our families for a weekend of fun.  It started in 2002 as the 6 of us and our husbands.  We all had such a great time that we thought we should do it again, and thus a tradition was born.  Labor Day weekend seemed perfect b/c  it is a guaranteed 3 day weekend for all of us and it isn't a holiday filled with family obligations. 

6 years and 13 (thirteen!!!) children later, we are all looking forward to another weekend together beginning tomorrow.  

While we've changed locations, some things are constant.

  • Late nights talking
  • Settlers (Board Game)
  • Guys Poker Nights
  • a trip to a local ice cream shop

Yea for Tradition!

  • playtime at a local park
  • torturing our kids with group portraits

 2005 scrapbook173Trying to pose 7 kids under 2 is not easy

 

While it isn't exactly a relaxing get away with 12 adults and 13 children (each 4 or under) all staying under the same roof.  It's truly refreshing.  There's no set schedule.  We sit around talk, play games, hold kids and have fun.  We divide up the meals so each family prepares a different meal for everyone and we all bring snacks and drinks to share.

gotta love the chaos There's something truly rare about this group of friends.  We've known each other for over 15 years.  And while our conversations have changed from "how will I know which way to tilt my head when I get my first kiss"  to "does is hurt as bad to nurse the second time around", there's something special about a friendship that has the memories of the past while still being in the present.  While we have some great memories that we enjoy laughing about, we have more than that.  We are friends in the present.  We talk about our roles as wives and mothers.  While we don't' all see eye to eye on everything, we have a mutual respect and admiration for each other.  I always leave our times together thinking, "there's a reason why we've been friends for so long."

 

I know we are the lucky ones and I am so very thankful.The Whole Gang

 

Each year I keep saying I want to make a scrapbook of our weekend get together's, in the mean time I'm posting this on Kristen's Sincerely Fro' Me to You Carnival.

17 comments:

  1. How fun is this??? I have kept up with my college buddies pretty well, but we are spread out all over the place. I wish we could do something like this with our families. Just us girls are headed to the beach in October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing and really unbelievable! I think that is so awesome. You've got something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I am fascinated that event hough you have known each other 15 years everyones kids are really similar in age! Sounds totally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right when you say "I know we are the lucky ones and I am so very thankful."
    Blessing others, and letting them bless you and of course receiving God's blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool and I love the idea of a whole weekend together. This is so much like our gang of friends too. 6 families that pretty much all grew up together from grade school. Now there are 16 kids and counting among us. We continue to get together all the time and the kids are all close in age. Guess we have something in common!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's great. I didn't stay friends with anyone in high school but that's mostly because we were really "frenemies" more than real friends. I loved your story - thanks for sharing.
    My Sincerely 'Fro post is The One Where I'm Naked...(!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ARE all lucky to have stayed so close! :) What a special tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE that my girlfriends still do this too. 8 years and running! have such a great time this weekend. :) i can't wait to hear all about it. (btw, you have trained your kids well. in the 5th pic, despite the chaos that ensues, your little one is flashing the camera her perfect smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! I just reunited with my high school BF in March after 15 years. Sad to say, we are sucking at staying in contact with each other. She's a single woman with no kids and a school teacher. Our lifes are in different places and it makes it hard to get together. You have inspired me to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story! Looks like me and my friends with all our kids when I visit FL every year!!!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so awesome! What a great tradition ya'll have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you all and remember those early years of friendship. Keep up the wonderful tradition. Hope you have a great week-end. Can't wait to see the latest photos. I agree - it would be a very special scrapbook!!!!! Go for it - you don't have a 1st year book to do next year LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. why is it that my child is the one screaming in all the pictures! can't wait for this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really special! But what really made me comment was that couch photo -- that is SO like the infamous Red Couch Photos among those adopting from China. We have one, as does just about everyone else I know who adopted from China. You can google "red couch photo" and fall over laughing at all of these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that is one of the neatest things I have ever read. Truly special. And what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You're so blessed to have been able to keep in touch with all your friends. I graduated from high school and college before the internet so some of us are still getting back in touch. I just blogged about it a couple of days ago :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)