A Thought I Couldn't Wait till the Weekend to Share

, , 7 comments

The Lord convicted me of something this morning at church and I had the urge to share it here on my blog, which is incredibly ironic when you read what it is I'm convicted about. 

Our pastor spoke to us about idols.  He shared an idol that he frequently struggles with worshipping in place of God.  See an idol doesn't have to be an object.   It isn't necessarily a little gold man that you bow to.  An idol is something that you put in place of God in your life.  He asked the congregation what we are pouring our time, energy, and talent into.  What are we worshipping with our life?  He pointed out that often the idols in our life are in and of themselves not evil.  An idol could be technology, tv, your family, a sport.   The problem isn't typically with the activity or object, it is with our obsession with it. 

I knew instantly what my current idol is.

Yup, you're reading it.

6 days a week I make sure to write something to post on my blog.  I'll stay up late to finish my post or to enter my link on a carnival.  I'll check my computer throughout the day to see if anyone commented.  I'll spend time reading and commenting on others blogs, as I enjoy building relationships across the blogosphere.

None of these things are bad.

I don't think my blog is bad either (if I do say so myself).  :-)

But, I must confess that I don't have that same intensity or passion about spending time in the Word or in prayer.  While I rarely go to bed without writing my post for the next day, I too often go to bed without even opening my Bible. 

This is not how it should be.  The Lord Jesus is my Savior.  I desire to follow Him with my life.  I need to spend time in His Word daily in order for my relationship with Him to grow.  If I wrote a post about once a week and never spent time reading or commenting on others blogs, I am guessing people would stop coming to read my blog.  The relationships would obviously suffer.  I'm so thankful that God doesn't abandon me even when I neglect to "write" but that's not the kind of relationship I want with Him.

I have a relationship with the Lord God because of Christ's sacrifice for me on the cross.  I am able to commune with Him daily through prayer and through reading His Word, the Bible.  But, by not doing these things faithfully, my relationship has grown stagnant.  I want the passion back for spending time with Him.  I want to learn new truths and apply them to my life.  Therefore, I am eager to spend time with my friend once more.

I still plan to blog regularly (as evidenced by this post).  But, I am going to try something out to see if it works for me.  To help hold myself accountable, I am not going to post until I have spent time with my Lord first.  This will allow me to make a statement to myself and to God, that I am putting Him first in my life. 

7 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    God has given you a great insight into your own behavior. As a result you have shared your heart with Him and us. Thank you. We can all benefit from your experience. I, too, am going to make better use of the time God has given me to meet with Him. I will no longer say "I didn't have time for my quite time." To myself or Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First things first! We'll be here when you get back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happens to me sometimes too. Do what you feel you have to do and give us a comment when ya can. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you can, email me sometime and I will tell you (something I don't want to post) what happen to me at church on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I really appreciate the encouragement!

    I just recently started blogging where I connected with people I don't know online. But before I blogged almost daily on our personal website. One of the things that has helped me is blogging about what I read in my Bible. I discovered the SOAP method from Mom's Toolbox and it's turned my daily journal entries into blogs. Now I don't open up my reader without making sure I've spent time with the Lord first. SOAP incorporates it all, including prayer. I find myself studying the Bible for 30-45 minutes without even realizing it, then I am so excited to share online what I've learned. Plus (and this is kind of a selfish reason), a lot of the blogs I comment on have the CommentLuv app on there, so it's nice to be able to leave a comment plus an active link to what the Lord has spoken to me about that day.

    Thanks again! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey,

    This is the first time I've read your blog.....I couldn't even tell you how I found it! I thought this post was very convicting and I am so glad you shared it.

    Sometimes, while blogging, I'll have fleeting thoughts (and guilt) about blogging or spending time reading other peoples' blogs. I have wondered if my Internet time has started to interfere with time I spend in the Word and also time I spend with my children. I know that these thoughts are the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart. It is even more convicting, and encouraging, to read that other Christian moms have the same struggles.

    I think at times as moms we are tend to look for something to entertain or divert us from what can be the daily drudgery of life and housework. We need to remember that God calls us to follow Him first. Thank you for the reminder!

    In Him,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my blog is www.samepersons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)