Week End Thoughts: My Mom

, , 7 comments

Since Mother's Day is this weekend, I thought I'd make my thoughtful post about my mother. Growing up my mom was my best friend. She was approachable and always willing to listen. I could ask her about anything and she never made me feel awkward or silly. Mom knew how to make things special. She decorated the house for the seasons and holidays and made our birthdays into something we looked forward to all year. I try to do the same at my home with my family. She is an excellent cook and would make many things from scratch. Some of my favorites are her potato salad, zucchini bread, nut rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy (I still haven't learned how to make gravy), apple pie, and her strawberry jam. I loved helping her in the kitchen. Every year when I bake Christmas cookies I think of her. I remember we'd spend the whole day baking cookies, all kinds of cookies, and listening to Christmas carols.


Mom is a talented seamstress. She made all of my costumes for school plays and assignments as well as my prom dresses, a memory quilt, and most specially my wedding dress. I know I put a lot of pressure on her when I asked her to do that. They always turned out even better than I hoped for and meant all the more to me because they were, "made with love by Mother." I have fond memories of mother/daughter shopping trips trying on dresses and then searching for the right pattern (often she had to combine more than one pattern into one dress) and the perfect material.

Mom loves my Dad. They've been married for 30 years. I always admired the priority they placed on their marriage. While they loved my brother and I deeply, they made sure to make time for the two of them a priority. One thing mom taught me before I got married that I really took to heart was the importance of not tearing down ones husband. She'd tell me how woman tend to put down their husbands both behind their backs and to their faces and how destructive that was. Mom made it point to never put down my Dad to her kids, her friends, or her coworkers. I have applied this wisdom in my own life.

My mom worked as a pediatric nurse growing up. This had its advantages (because she always knew how to take care of us when we hurt or sick) and also its disadvantages. Since she was used to seeing kids that were REALLY sick, there was no staying home from school for simply a cold. :-) Now that I am a mother I appreciate having nurse Grandma only a phone call away when I need to ask her a medical question about the kids. As a stay at home mom, I am truly amazed at how my mom managed to juggle all of her roles. She worked odd shifts (sometimes nights, sometimes evenings) and long hours but yet she always made time to be there ANYTIME we needed her. I never felt like she was too tired or too busy. I just remember her always being there. Looking back on it now, I realize how much she sacrificed of herself. She always put us first. I think I am tired at the end of the day, but my mom must have been even more tired. I have so much respect and admiration for her.

I was blessed to be raised in a Christian home by parents who loved the Lord and had a personal relationship with Jesus. I don't remember the exact moment when I became a Christian. I do remember going through a stage of doubt and worry when I was in third grade. I carried around weird guilt and fear and I remember talking to my mom about it and her telling me about the peace of Christ and comforting me with the truths of Scripture. When I was in Middle School my mom and I did a mother/daughter Bible study at home. This was huge for me. My mom modeled to me her true reliance on the Lord and I learned that she wasn't perfect. It always further opened the bonds of communication between the two of us. In High School she lead a girls Bible study at my church for my friends and I. She was an excellent teacher and listener. In college we started a tradition of attending a spiritual retreat together. We've been to Women of Faith Conferences, Beth Moore Conference, and church retreats. It has been a special time of growth in both of our walks.

Happy Mothers Day Mom! I hope you know how very much I love you and how thankful I am that the Lord made you my mom!

Week End Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings of a stay at home wife and mom with three kids. While my days are seldom “normal” enough to leave me without a “post worthy” moment (i.e. read here), I intend to take some time on the weekend to highlight something from my week that’s a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a post from this week that was reflective in nature, please feel free to add a link in the comments section. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. The last paragraph, about your Chrisitan upbringing, was my favorite part of this post. You are blessed to have that experience. I was NOT raised that way, was in fact saved as a teenager BEFORE my parents came to know the Lord. I do not have the benefit of the ROOTING in Christ that it sounds as though you have, BUT I did get too really see how their lives were changed.

    Be blessed,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely testimony about your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Crystal! I dropped in to ask how you got to be Blogflux.com's featured blog, how to apply for it or get in the running, etc., and wanted to read a few posts. What a fun site you've got! I was in marching band, too! I played the flute two years and that crazed marching F horn the last year because we needed an extra body...ugh. But those were sure good times. Some of my best friends are STILL my best friends because we survived band practices and band trips together. I feel a link to you because of it!

    I wanted to comment on a comment: Jennifer, I'm so pleased to hear that your experience as a teen was able to influence your parents' salvation. I was saved as an adult (25) and worked in VBS and youth ministry for years. It's stunning to see how many families drop their kids off because they see the importance of letting their children build a relationship with God, but they don't seem interested in building that relationship for themselves. I'm glad to see your parents built it, too.

    Sandy L.
    "Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just wanted to say how much i love crystal's mom too! i was blessed to be a part of that high school Bible study crystal mentioned and it is to this day one of my most fond life experiences. what a great legacy you started mrs. c and what a great job you are doing carrying it onward crystal. i love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words can relay how I feel about this one - tears upon tears are flowing. But most of all - I am so proud of what God has done with and through your life despite my shortcomings. To God be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. susie is a great woman! she always has a gracious word to say. thanks for sharing her with me, crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful testimony from a daughter of a mother to the world. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)