In Home Date Nights

, , 11 comments

With three children under 4, it isn't always easy to get out for a date night. Sometimes we do date nights at home. We feed the kids a simple dinner... chicken nuggets or hot dogs. While I am getting the kids ready for bed, my husband grills us steak for dinner. We light a candle and enjoy a leisurely dinner together. We get to talk, uninterrupted and enjoy our food while it is still warm. I have found that steaks typically go on sale at least once a month. We can do the entire steak dinner for two with under $15 which is way cheaper then anything but fast food out on the town. While we still enjoy going out for an occasional date night, our home date nights allow us to have a special evening together more often.


Sometimes we want to top the evening off with a movie, so we'll head to our local Red Box. If you haven't tried Red Box yet, I highly recommend it. It is basically a movie vending machine, most often they are in front of McDonald's (I have seen some area grocery stores with them as well). For one dollar, you can rent a New Release movie. To find your nearest Red Box, visit their website. You can even find out what movies are in stock and available. You have until 9pm the next night to return it to any Red Box. This typically isn't a problem for us, but if you're late, they just charge you another dollar for an additional night. You'd have to keep it for 4 nights to equal the cost of renting it at Blockbuster. And there are no membership fees either.


Time alone with my hubby without breaking the bank....that works for me, to find out what works of others check out Rocks in My Dryer.

11 comments:

  1. This is like the seventh time I've heard about Red Box movies. I'm seriously going to have to try it, especially now that it's summertime, and all the reruns start driving me crazy.

    Thanks for your visit to my blog and your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often watch a movie together on weekends (we use Netflix), but maybe we'll have to have a late dinner and make it a date one night! (This would be especially great, since we NEVER go out on dates!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dollar to rent a new movie - that's great. I can't remember the last time my husband and I went out. A few years ago, our next door neighbor had all the kids come over for a sleep over so we could be alone for our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a way to make the date even cheaper--head over to insideredbox.com and look for a code for a free movie. We love RedBox!!

    If you are a movie lover, join us for our Movie Madness Carnival on June 3rd. Check out the banner on my site for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea!

    i love redbox!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all .. what is a date night??? lol just kidding.. I only have 2 little ones.. but I don't trust anyone but family to watch our children..and they all live soooooooooo far away... so your tips with Redbox..and a nice dinner.. is a great idea. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet! I love to hear date night ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto on the Inside Redbox comment.

    If you sign up for their email list, they'll send you a movie code good for one free movie on Monday and Wednesday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are big Redbox fans here, too. : )
    We have a new baby coming soon. I know dates will be harder to do for awhile after he is born. Thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do the exact same thing! To me, it is almost more fun than going out some nights because you get to sit and relax and just be together. We haven't tried the redbox thing yet (we have the monthly blockbuster account) but I've heard such great things I'll have to try it instead...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)