We Were the Cool Ones!

, , 19 comments


As I mentioned last Thursday, I attended a small Christian High School with only 44 students in my graduating class. The school was small enough that you could play a Varsity sport without actually being good at the sport (granted I sat the bench, but still I earned a letter warming that bench) and the majority of the school was in the marching band. Seriously, you were cool if you were in the marching band. I know what you're thinking... I was not a band geek and I am not in denial... believe me the cool place to be on a Saturday night was at a band competition (We didn't have a football team so we played in band competitions each Sat from the end of Sept until early Nov). That's me with my Flugal horn (it was like a marching French Horn) to the left of the girl in all white (our drum major). Come on, just look at that hat, can't you tell we were all the rage? When I tell people today about my days in the marching band, no one believes me. At their school it was the athletes and the cheerleaders. I guess the difference at my school was that we were so small the athletes and cheerleaders could still be in the band...Hmmm since I wasn't an athlete or a cheerleader does that mean I really was just a band geek?


For more moments head over to We Are THAT Family with the Sincerely 'Fro Me To You Carnival.

19 comments:

  1. Memory Lane is much fun for sure!

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun! Looks like an awesome time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the band for three years. That third year we got new band uniforms. I went from marching two years in NAVY blue pants, to one more year in WHITE pants. I tried out for cheerleader and didn't march my senior year. And band was A LOT more fun than cheerleading! I just couldn't do white pants.

    Love the pictures. I didn't think band nerd, I thought "Aww, fun."

    Be blessed.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Fun! That is some outfit! And, band nerd? YOU? No way!

    Thanks for playing along. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should talk to Judi. She IS the original band geek! I'm not allowed to say what instrument but I always enjoy bringing up band with dinner guests (who themselves were in band) to get her talking on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the wonder band uniform. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't in the band or sports....just a geek! Oh, how glad I am that those high school years are long gone. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Band Nerds Rock!

    Sorry, got carried away, and flashed back to my own glory days in a similar uniform!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh funny, I played the trumpet through Junior high and then said nope no more of this. Then my sister joined the band and my Dad made her play the trumpet also since someone (me) did not get the money's worth out of the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great band uniform! I was a band drop out ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Band members totally rock!! Our hats were white coyboy hats with one side flipped up, and we totally had those cool yellow feathers tucked in too. You should have seen us all grab them out and hide them inside out uniforms if it started to rain, that yello dye would have ruined those white fuzz-covered plastic hats!
    Too funny, thanks for the memories, you flugal-horn-packin'-band geek-you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal's HubbyThursday, May 08, 2008

    Yep - I was lucky enough to snag one of the cool ones :-). I was never eligible for such coolness since I don't play an instrument. No, I was destined to find my coolness elsewhere…It would be another 4 years before I hit it big as a cool engineer (wait…er…um…oh man I'm still not cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am actually a closet band geek! I wish I could play an instrument or would have been one of those flag girls when I was in school. Alas I played sports.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh no!!!! i can't believe you put that picture on the internet for the world to see!!! have no worries, i still love you, maybe more than ever. thanks for the wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH such memories - watching those tournament band competitions. And remember the never-ending senior year?!?!?
    Thanks for the flash back. It seems like only yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do look cool! Okay you definitely look HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As someone who went to a high school even smaller (by half!) I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  18. to prove that band was THE THING at aacs, i have to admit, as much as i loved lacrosse, i WANTED to be in band so badly i stooped to playing the triangle. and i was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminder of all that fun! I've actually gone back a few times to drive the bus for the kids now. But being at those competitions, and hearing the drums and all the excitement does bring back some fun memories! I guess some people just never grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)