Spring Time Traditions

, , 16 comments

IMG_8079

For the past 3 years the kids and I have gone to a local strawberry farm to pick our own berries.  It is a tradition I cherish. 

IMG_8050

We are suburbanites.  We don’t even really garden.  But, I love for my children to get some real life farm experiences.  I love for them to walk down the rows upon rows of plants.

IMG_8072

This year my son really went to town.   He’d scamper ahead down the row and come back with a basket overflowing with red berries.   He didn’t want to stop, “Please mom just one more basket!”

IMG_8059

I love the joy and satisfaction they get from “working the land” themselves.

IMG_8054  In addition to watching my children take in the farm life, one of my favorite parts is just eating berry after fresh berry on our way home.  You can’t buy berries like this in the store.  They are truly delicious! 

I love taking the kids to pick our own produce because we always come home with so much more than just delicious, fresh, produce, but with life lessons and timeless memories as well. 

This post will be linked up here and here on Wednesday as we share our fun with pictures!

16 comments:

  1. That looks like such fun! I really want to take my kids to a strawberry farm, too. I need to do some research and find one around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is this? Yum! I thought local strawberries were in season later in the summer. Shows how much I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Love the taste of them I will look like one by end of season Ours are not in yet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great reminder for me to check our local farm for when they open the pick your own strawberry fields - I think we're planning on going sometime next week! Do you make jam with all the berries? I've never done it and have always wanted to. Let me know if you have any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! This is something that we don't get to experience very often because we don't have any you pick places near by.

    Enjoy your strawberry haul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, that is it! I have to take my kids to a farm for strawberries! It looks like so much fun. Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the shot of the girls in their jean jackets bending to pick berries, COOL SHOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun tradition! It makes me want to find something similar for my kids and I to do this summer or fall. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Berry pickin is the best. Great fun, good pics! Drop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tradition! It is to early here for berry picking. I do have a wild variety in my garden, but I leave them for the critters to eat, as they are tiny. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet the kids had a great time! One time I totally cheated. I just took the strawberries that the field workers picked and put them in my crate!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandparents have a berry patch. We spent Sunday weeding. Picking is so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great shots of your strawberry picking. We've only done this once and I SO want to go again but I'm not sure where to go since we moved. You're right, there's NOTHING else like the fresh-picked berries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could really use their help when I go picking!! You are right - no better berries than fresh picked :-) Waiting on ours to ripen! Maybe I can bring some when Baby #4 makes their arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, your "little one" is so adorable in the picture of the three of them. Why is she so big?! Second, I just can't stomach picking and paying for produce, even though I'm hundreds of miles away from home and our farm. (I even did it once!) Fortunately, I have timed the birth of this baby just right. Strawberry season is about a month away in NY. I will turn my family away if they do not come to see this new baby with flats and flats of strawberries in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are the cutest little farmer wannabe's I've ever seen! :) Love the denim jackets on the girls and your youngest in her work boots!

    As for all those delicious berries! YUM!! Have you ever bought Southern Style Pillsbury biscuits and eaten them over those with whip cream?? That's our family fave thing to do with strawberries other than put them in with red grapes and blueberries and eat them like that!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)