Gimme a Break

, , 8 comments
In an attempt to make oral reading more fun, I gave my son the option of picking any location in our house to do his reading time. 

 

He chose my closet.

Would not have been my first choice, but no worries, to the closet we went… I brought a pillow for me to sit on as the floor isn’t so comfy for this 9 mth pregnant momma.  My son looked at me and said, “Hey, how come you aren’t sharing that pillow with me?”  I informed him his toosh could handle the floor and we then stuck a few pillows in front of us to make it more fort like.   He was a bit put out by the fact that he didn’t have a pillow to sit on but accepted it none the less.   IMG_8169

I am reaching the end of my pregnancy and my body seems to be reminding me of that fact more and more each day.  Bending over, sitting, standing, sleeping, all of it comes with increased discomfort.  I often feel like a ginormous whale as I attempt to heave my belly out of bed or off of the couch.  And I’ll admit it, I am not exactly quick or light on my feet these days. 

A few days ago, I got out of the shower and heard my cell phone ringing.  I raced (or waddled) to the other side of the house in an attempt to catch whoever was calling.  Of course, they had hung up.  I saw it was my husband so I quickly called him back.  But, he wasn’t at his desk.  I left him a message and told him I was at home, he could call me there. 

A short while later my son and I were in the closet again for reading.  I made sure to bring the phone with me to the closet so that I didn’t have to race for the phone should it ring.

Wouldn’t you know my cell phone rang again?  (and of course I didn’t bring my cell phone to the closet with us).  So, I heaved myself up and hauled it across the house to try and catch my hubby on the phone. 

But, this pregnant momma is not fast enough.  

Not 10 seconds later, I then hear the land line ringing in the closet on the other side of the house and off to the races this pregnant momma goes.

Finally, out of breath, I connect with my husband and with a sigh of frustration ask what in the world he is trying to do to his poor pregnant wife?  I explain the scenario and we both get a good laugh out of it. 

Truth be told, if it has been anyone else on the phone, I would have just ignored it, but I hate missing out on the opportunity to connect with my hubby, even if for a few quick minutes.   Ah, the things we do for love…

8 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I am totally picturing you going back and forth as fast as you can!! It will be nice when you can just get up from a sitting position without hesitation! :)

    And did your son say why he picked the closet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilariously sad! Like, I kind of feel bad for laughing! :) Poor you!

    And by the way, I totally wish I lived close enough to come decorate your place! We'll be in town sometime this summer, maybe I'll have to swing by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww... your poor body! first you get in trouble for hogging all the pillows, then you have to waddle back and forth. it does make me chuckle a little bit, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. isn't it crazy how life FEELS like we are living in a situation comedy sometimes? glad to hear there was a "laugh track" accompanying your scene. cute story :-) looking forward to hearing when your "discomfort" passes and meeting your newest one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Amy was babysitting Jon at your sons age, he chose the closet to eat his lunch. He said he was on a plane flying and she was his hostess. I can see you running back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You handled that so much better than I would have! I would not have "had a good laugh over it!" I would have been, "Derek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm nine months pregnant! Gimme a break! Where's the ice cream?!?!?"

    Lol.

    You and your oldest look so cute snuggled up in the closet! You're such a good mom (and wife!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story! I TOTALLY can picture you too :) (it seems like EVERY time I snuggle up to read with the boys the phone rings-- especially if I drift off to sleep)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)