How My Son Decided We Should Celebrate Memorial Day

, , 6 comments

I’ll be honest.  When I think Memorial Day celebration, I typically think cook outs and swimming pools.  This year being 9 mths preggo, we didn’t really make any big plans for Memorial Day weekend.   Scott grilled for us several times and even got out this smoker and cooked a chicken for Monday’s dinner.  We went to the park, did a few things around the house and basically took it easy all weekend.  It was perfect. 

So, my plans for Monday included sleeping in, eating sticky buns, perhaps a trip to Target in there somewhere and smoked chicken for dinner.

Then, I talked with my 6 yr old son.

Me:  Guess what?  Daddy doesn’t have to go to work on Monday.

Son: Why?

Me:  Because it is Memorial Day

Son:  What’s Memorial Day?

Me:  It is a day we remember the soldiers who gave their lives fighting for our country’s freedom

Son:  So, what are we going to do for Memorial Day?  Are we going to go down to the War Memorial?

Me: completely caught off guard…. ummmm…. I guess I didn’t really make plans for Monday

Son:  But what are we going to do to remember the soldiers?  Shouldn’t we go to the memorial?

Scott and I:  Sure, we can do that

Son:  And I think we should dress like soldiers, since it is their day, and we should bring our MRE and eat it b/c that is what soldiers eat

Scott and I:  ok… sure…. sounds like a plan

So, we did just that.

IMG_8482

IMG_8485

 IMG_8499

 IMG_8507

IMG_8508

This weekend my family enjoyed a peaceful weekend at home.  We went to nearby parks and enjoyed the swings, kicked the soccer ball in the field and played catch.  Many families might of done the same thing this weekend, only without their entire family with them to enjoy the event.  Many families sacrificed their husbands, wives, sons, or daughters so that my family and yours could enjoy such freedom.   As we played at the park, I never feared for our safety.  I didn’t have to look over my shoulder.  This is thanks to the soldiers that fought for our safety.   On Sunday we went to church.  The church of our choosing to worship in the manner we chose.   We were able to do this thanks to the freedoms our soldiers fought so bravely to defend.    

IMG_8522

  I am so thankful for the country I live in and the freedoms we enjoy.  And I am so thankful my son reminded us to take the time to pause and think of the soldiers who gave those gifts to us.  It was a great way to celebrate Memorial Day.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and thoughtful son you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Seeing your son and your daughter's pants (which is the best word in the world!) and being so sincere and proud is so so touching! I think your son and my daughter would get along so well being that they are so sensitive and perceptive and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bless his little heart!! What a fine young man he is!! I love him in his little uniform, and holding the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too sweet!! Love it. What a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect way to commemorate the day to me! However, I still don't know how you find the energy to keep so busy! When I hit that point in pregnancies #2 and #3 I spent a lot of time bemoaning my fatigue and being hormonal and impatient. You're a wonder, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that, my friends, is real patriotism!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)