Weekend Thought: What I Believe

, , 6 comments
Weekend Thought Button

My friend and I were riding in the car one day when the song “Creed” by Third Day came on.  I told my friend something to the effect of, “I love this song, it’s like everything I believe.”

To which she laughed (not exactly the response I was expecting) and said, “Your kidding right?  You know this is the Apostles Creed.”

No wonder I was so impressed with the statement of faith.  Seems it was not written by the band Third Day or Rich Mullins, but by the early church centuries ago.

I liked the song not because it was the apostles creed and thus suddenly more holy or special.  I liked it because it succinctly summarized what it was that I believed.

Every time I hear the song now, I gotta chuckle.  But I wanted to share the words and the song with you this weekend b/c I think it is important for us to think about what is it that we believe.

What do you personally believe?  Not your parents, not your spouse, not even your church, I want to know if you know where you line up with what you believe.  Do you know?  Have you thought about it?  If not, I encourage you to take some time to do just that.

And if anyone cares, here’s what I believe.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:


Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended into hell.


The third day He arose again from the dead;



He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.


I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.




What’s been on your mind this week? Read something in a Bible study that got you thinking?  Heard a song lyric that touched your heart?  Realized something about yourself that maybe you hadn’t thought of before?  Have a great “aha” moment?   Please share.  I’d love to sit and have a heart to heart with you dear friend.  And thanks to this world wide web, I can.  So do tell, either by linking up below or posting a comment.   I’d love to hear your thoughts this weekend.



1. Muthering Heights
2. Homegrown Strawberries
3. A Traveling Thought

Mr. Linky is still not working this week.  If you have a weekend thought to post, please leave a comment below.  I will then go to your site and if I see a WT there, I will link it up here.  (note: if you don’t have a WT, still feel free to comment) :-)

6 comments:

  1. To be honest Crystal this post made me a little sad. I had never heard this song before but I can recite the apostles creed in my sleep. Our church in Florida would recite it every week as a part of the worship service an affirmation of what we believe. I am not at all sure why your not recognizing it made me sad its not as thought you do not know these truths as its the point of this post... I'm not sure. But I am very happy that you so easily recognized the foundational truths of God's work thought out history and its clear that you are passing those beliefs to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this! i think thinking about life more than just "what should we do for dinner?" so if you can, please link me up.
    thanks! And i LOVE that song, too! and you crack me up! thanks for being vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal...this was a delightfully funny story. I'm not going to leave the ever expanding dissertation of my beliefs on your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, love Rich Mullins. Such a great song. Why do I not visit you more often, Crystal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know it was the Apostle's Creed...I also think that song is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked back here cos I recall reading this the 1st time you posted it ... I check in just about every day so I knew I had read this... and besides, since I'm yer brudder-in-Christ, I thought I should double-check :)

    Yeah, I was thinking how to make the Creed into a kids song that Abigail would enjoy singing. Kids learn so much through rhyme & song!

    Thanks for reminding me about this Crystal and....NO!... you're not "slow" :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)