How The Circus Began

, , 11 comments

In honor of Valentine’s Day I thought I’d share my love story with you all this week.


I mentioned before that prior to being voted “Most Congenial” Scott and I had only had 2 conversations with each other throughout high school.  After the 4th  photo shoot, we got one acceptable enough to put in the yearbook, and I started to notice what a genuinely nice guy he was.  Sadly though, we had no classes together.  Then we went on the high school leadership retreat at Harvey Cedars Camp in NJ.  We ended up riding in the same van (something we both take credit for) and talking quite a bit on the way there.  I say I noticed he was in that van when I willingly got in it over the one with all my friends.  He takes credit for moving to the front of the van so we could talk.  It is safe to say that we both took notice of each other and spent most of our free time together during that retreat.  On the way home we sat next to each other in the van and talked the entire time.


I was love sick when I got back.  I had butterflies in my stomach and couldn’t eat for days.  I remember gushing to my mom about this guy Scott who was such a gentleman and wondering if he enjoyed the weekend as much as I did.


I was worried that once we got home, it “whatever it was” would end.  I wrote him a casual note to the effect of, “I really enjoyed talking to you at the retreat and hope it doesn’t end now that we are back.”  Yea…I remember the words I penned 12 years ago because I read and reread and agonized over them before tapping him on the shoulder and throwing it in his locker (and then running down the hall…yea that’s me calm, cool, collected) a few days after we got back.


It’s so funny to me that there was a time when I didn’t know how Scott felt about me.  A time when I worried if he liked me and wondered whether we would talk again.  A time when a date with him was just a dream, a “wonder if we’ll ever.”


He got the note I chucked into his locker and returned it with one of his own (in a more civilized manner, handing it to me as he walked by).  We passed notes in the halls for a few weeks and talked at lunch and between classes.  Then the time came to exchange Senior pictures.  I gave him mine and he took days before giving me his.  (Guess I wasn’t the only one agonizing over what to write).


And then finally, he gave me his picture, with this message on the back.


IMG_3900


This line right here made my heart skip, “we can always get together after school”…could this possibly be the hint of a date?


We did get together after school a few weeks later.  Come by tomorrow to read all about my calm, cool, collected teenage self on her first “date” when I link up to Kristen’s special Valentine’s carnival.


11 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! I feel the same way, looking back on the predating days with my husband - so hard to believe there was a time of, "I wonder if he likes me," when it's so obvious now looking back! Can't wait to read more of your love story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too remember the days of doubting and wondering if my feelings were returned I am excited to learn more about your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so i remember the night scott told me he was going on a date with you. wasn't it in 1996??? i'm glad you still like each other lots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh, I'm gushing! So so so so super cool! And you have that note all these years later! So super duper!

    So glad you gush all these years later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading posts like this! Can't wait to read more of your fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you must know that I have been meaning to comment all day. And then I came home and the cold I was catching was officially caught and after I took some cough syrup I became a tad "out of it." I was just about to hit the pillow when I realized I never commented. And here, I am, in a cough syrup stupor trying to do my last "to do" before going to bed. Love the post! Love it! That's about as intelligible a comment as I can come up with tonight, but I am really really looking forward to reading the rest of your story...don't spare any details!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis is such a great post - I love hearing reminisce about your high school crush and passing note days (oh my, that took me back!) - of course it makes all so much sweeter that your high school crush is your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is adorable! Ah...the butterflies...the agonizing over words...
    I love reading your blog, and I'm just delighted by your wonderful mom-humor but w/o the whining and bitterness I run into so often among other moms. Your love of your family, your dedication to being a godly wife and mom, your patient submission to God in all things...these are such an encouragement to me! How's that for "frazzled mommy chocolate"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story! I love that you still have his note on the back of your Senior picture....I can't wait to hear more about the two of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like only yesterday!! How well I remember your emotions:-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)