He Likes Me!

, , 21 comments

I left off on my love story yesterday with the note my husband wrote me on the back of his senior picture.  A few weeks later we did in fact “spend time together after school.”  It was the day before Thanksgiving and we had a half day of school.  The plan was for him to come to my house that afternoon to watch Toy Story.


I was both nervous and excited.  I spent the ride home from school figuring out what I would wear, how to do my hair and other such pressing matters.  Then my dad told me he needed me to drive him to the car dealership to pick up his new car.  The dealership was about 30 minutes from our house.  Being the self absorbed teenager that I was I replied in utter despair, “Dad, why on the one day I have a date, do you have to buy a car?”  I was so upset, convinced this would ruin everything.  Woe is me.  I was certain that if Scott got to my house and I wasn’t there he would leave and that would be the end of everything.  I am pretty sure I whined the whole way to drop him off.  Every time I think back on this day, I shudder with embarrassment at my behavior.  I complained so much that my dad offered for me to just drop him off at the exit and make him walk to the dealership.


And the self absorbed teenager that I was, I took him up on it.


Yes, I really pulled off on the shoulder of the highway entrance ramp, kissed my dad goodbye and made him walk up the hill to the car dealership.  No waiting to make sure he got there ok.  No waiting to make sure his car really was ready.  Just, “See ya Dad, I gotta get back before Scott gets to our house!”


Do I have a loving and patient Dad or what?


image


When I got home, Scott wasn’t there yet.  Still had time to sit and wait anxiously for him to ring the bell.


As we sat on the couch watching Toy Story that afternoon with my dog Dee Dee sitting between us on the couch, my brother came into the room and said, “Wow, I’ve never seen Crystal hold Dee Dee that long!”  Thank you brother…


(Scott is a dog lover so when he sees a dog he naturally invites it up onto his lap and pets it.  When I see a dog I typically ignore it).  So glad my little bro got that out in the open right away.


Despite all my worry and nerves, we had a great afternoon and he even invited me out for a real date shortly after.


One month later we sat in the church parking lot when he told me “he liked me” and I figured out that I could call him my boyfriend.  Incidentally this happened after we had spent the entire day together and I had neglected to call my parents to tell them where I was.  I, the girl who would run inside the house to tell her parents she was going to the back yard, went 12 hours without touching base.  I didn’t have a curfew, I just had to keep my parents in the loop on where I was and what I was doing. On that day I failed at both. So I came home floating on cloud nine in this la la land of, “Scott likes me and he is my boyfriend” to find my parents sitting in front of the door with looks that could kill.  Way to burst that bubble!  The only reason I didn’t get grounded was because I offered up as my excuse, “Guys, I am so sorry…I know I messed up, but guess what?  Scott likes me!”  And they graciously forgave me and celebrated my big news.


December 22, 1996 was when I became Scott’s girlfriend and I have been ever since.


This is only the beginning.  The story just gets better from here.  I am posting the rest of the week about our love story.  Stop by tomorrow to read about our first Valentine’s day.  And check out Kristen’s carnival below to read more love stories.


21 comments:

  1. What date that starts with Toy Story wouldn't end well. :-) What a sweet story and the picture cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always count on Jordan to be upfront...and destroy any facade you are attempting to pass off! :)

    Your love story sounds like it could be a TV show. Really! It's cute, with just the right amount of family friendly drama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor, sweet Dad!!! This is a great story.

    It does sound like a TV show. Kind of like The Wonder Years...I loved that show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have gotten off so easily. Rather I'd probably be forbidden from see said boy as he was clearly a bad influence. I'm so glad things were a little smoother for you. >^_^<

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome story!!! I totally remember those days. Although, I think this post may be more of a tribute to your dad. He let you drop him off on the side of the road - he is totally cool!!! I mean really. :) But seriously I feel like I am back in high school reading this. It made me smile. Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I feel old..when you were watching Toy Story with a cute boy, I was watching it with 3 kids ages 5-12! Great story (yours as well as Toy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story!! But, OH your poor dad....that is too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are so incredibly cute. What a great story! To think an entire Circus was born from all this! I am enjoying hearing your story and how it's unfolding.

    Can't wait for more!

    Is that a Toyota dealership, by the way? It better be....if you're gonna make your poor dad walk all that way, I hope at least he was headed for quality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. another cute story! Oh to be a teenager again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story, I look forward to the next installment. Dads, long suffering and patient. :)

    Cheers, Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great LOVE story! I loved reading it! Thanks for playing it along, can't wait to read the rest! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly do have understanding parents!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah how sweet! So funny about your dad! Boy isn't it amazing how self absorbed teenagers can be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for sharing!!! what a cute story to remember all of the butterflies in the stomach and everything. can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you actually included a picture of where you dropped off your dad. Too funny! A movie for your first date....there had to be a lot of emotional and romantic tension in that room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you watch Toy Story on your anniversary? LOL! The map cracked me up. What a great dad...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful "story of us" about you and Scott. I love your first real date was to watch Toy Story!! Hubby and mine was to watch The Little Mermaid!!

    I cannot wait to hear the rest of this wonderful LOVE story!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love reading this!!! What a sweet story of high school sweetheart love that has lasted!!! And, oh, your poor dad! I can tell that you learned a lot about your awesome parenting from your own parents!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your love story would not be complete without this favorite family memory. That "new Car" also made it's way around the family for years - keeping the memory of your fisrt date vibrant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)