Weekend Thoughts: Who Makes the Rules

, , 4 comments

A recent dinner conversation resulted in one of those, "wow" moments for my husband and I as we listened to our four year old speak truths that truly made us rejoice. 

We had been talking about voting and my husband asked if my four year old son new what voting was...

Son:  Yea I do I learned it at school...it's the government who makes all the rules

Dad:  Right... and we get to vote on who will make those rules

Pause  Dad:  Who makes the rules in our house?

Here's where I was expecting him to answer with "Mom and Dad"

Son:  God

And I instantly stopped eating and looked up my husband.  My son answered that question better than I would have.

How comforting to know that our son gets it.  He understands that when Mommy and Daddy make rules, it isn't just for the sake of making rules, it's because we are obeying God and we want our children to do the same.  How exciting that he knows that Mommy and Daddy submit to the same God he does! 

I couldn't help but think of the verse in Joshua 24:15 which states, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

It is my prayer that as my kids grow older they will continue to see that it is God who makes the rules and sets the standard.  May they also see that God is much more than a dictator of rules.  May they see that we are incapable of meeting his perfect standard, and that only through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, with his blood covering our sin, can we meet His standard.  On our own, we can not obey or follow the rules perfectly enough.  Because of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf, God does not see our sin when he looks at us.  And as new creations in Christ, we as Christians strive to live our life in such a way that brings Him glory through our obedience, not to earn our salvation, but in gratitude for our salvation. 

This is my prayer.

"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you[d] to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption,[e] the forgiveness of sins."  Colossians 1:9-14

Weekend Thoughts:
My posts typically relate funny anecdotes about the happenings here at the circus  but, I use my last post of the week to highlight something a little more “thoughtful” and significant. If you had a thoughtful post from this last week, or choose to make a new one, please feel free to add a link in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you are thinking.

4 comments:

  1. That is so great that he recognizes the real leader and "rule maker" in your home!! What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he's got it! And at such a young age. You must be so proud and happy. He puts God before you two...that's awesome for a kid to realize who's really in control!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That truly warms my heart. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i have to add a little antidote myself. yesterday at church when we were listening to the sermon, (i mean playing with your little guy in the pew), he and i were writing all over the little cards they have. when they passed around the offering plate he was very sure to put in one of the cards he'd written his name on. he then said, "that way they know who voted." haha, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)