Crafty Tuesdays

, , 16 comments

Crafty, I am not.  But, I was an elementary education major, so I do know how to use scissors and glue.   And, I have found that I really enjoy doing simple arts and crafts projects with my children. 

But, the circus life can get rather busy.  And as with most things, if I am not intentional, the opportunities and the moments pass me by. 

So, this year I have designated Tuesday as "Crafty Tuesday."

I have found that having one day a week set aside for crafts allows me a week to plan ahead and get everything together.  I picked Tuesday because it is the one day a week we don't have a morning commitment.  We typically have a leisurely start to the day, take care of errands mid day and after nap time we work on our "special projects."   

I try to make dinner something easy on this night, either a crock pot meal, something I prepped earlier in the day, or something which requires minimal effort.  This way we can work on our projects without worrying about stopping early for dinner. 

IMG_9694So far the kids and I have enjoyed several, fun, fall projects such as leaf rubbings, window art, painted pumpkins, and our most recent a thanksgiving collage.    This last one was a two parter as we took a nature walk last week to gather our  materials and this week we glued them down to make letters spelling "Give Thanks," which we then hung on the wall behind our dinner table. 

IMG_9708

Crafty Tuesday works for me, as it provides me with a way to enjoy some quality time with my children each week.  Check out Rocks in My Dryer for more great Works for me Wednesday advice.

16 comments:

  1. That is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE the idea of Craft Tuesdays. And your most recent craft is great!!! It turned out so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super craft. Letters. Glue. Paper. God creation. Praise.
    All the things kids love and the ONE who loves them. . . God!

    Growing in HIS grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not crafty either. Not at all. But my kids all just love crafts. I love the idea of designating one day a week for crafty projects. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea and I bet your kids look forward to this every week. I love the Give Thanks poster. Sometimes I get so caught up in making crafts too cutesy that I don't let the kids just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been discovering lately that if something doesn't have a set time, it doesn't get done. I have so many things I'd like to do "someday," so I have to put "someday" on the calendar. I've just started thinking of Sunday as our craft day. I love the idea - and I love your give thanks collage! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, the admiration is running deep. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The collage is wonderful -- a good sensory experience and a good lesson for the season. I have a designated *space* for crafts so that the mess doesn't drive me crazy, but so that the kids can access the supplies whenever inspiration hits. This morning we made scrap paper princesses on a whim. If I can get my camera to cooperate I'll post some process pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Having a set time for projects is such a good idea and the kids have it to look forward to! How do you get your ideas? THat's where I get stumped - my kids love crafts but I am not good at organizing or planning them....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job - keeping it simple, enjoyable, memorable, precious, involving nature into your projects!! Great planning also - less stressed day and planned meals. Way to make it happen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally stealing this idea. Because it's a good one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the give thanks banner, we'll have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW thats very creative that looks like it keeps them occupied

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crystal, here is a great one I just did. Get out those old ribbons that stick on. Make a wreath base by cutting out the middle of a paper plate. I put a few together to make it sturdy. then Joey went to town pealing the backs off the stickers and sticking the boys on. It actually made a really nice wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, did you try sticking cloves into an orange or tangerine? That is great too

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)