Weekend Thoughts: I’m a Survivor

, , 5 comments

Last week I survived the Annapolis 10 Mile Run.  I’d like to say that I raced it or ran it, but in actuality I just survived it.

While one might wonder why I am not more excited and proud of such an accomplishment, it is because the year prior, I ran it well.  I trained for it all summer and come race day I did my best.  Now my best is only about 15 min faster than my survival pace, but the feeling I had when crossing the finish line was worlds different. (It’s quite telling to read both accounts of the run).

This year, I let busyness, laziness, and a lack of determination get in the way of my training.  So, come race day, I was really banking on the training from last summer.  And a summer’s worth of running can only carry a girl so far. 

It got me thinking about the other race I’m running.  Ya now the race of life. 

Hebrews 12: 1-2 states,

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

As we go through this life, I want to run the race God has marked for me with perseverance.  I don’t want to merely survive.  I don’t want to reach my finished line and say, “Well God, I made it.”  Instead I want to finish strong and have my heavenly father say to me, “Well done my good and faithful servant.” 

In order for this to happen, I need to be disciplined, and intentional.   I need to tap into the strength God provides through his Word and his Holy Spirit.  I also need to continue in doing his work.  I can’t become complacent and let others to the work of his kingdom.  I need to actively serve my King, all the days of my life.  Keep in mind, I am not doing these things so that I can earn my way to heaven.  I know right now where I am going when I die and it has nothing to do with anything I’ve done.   I will spend eternity in heaven b/c Jesus endured the cross on my behalf.  Nothing I do or don’t do can change that.  But, like I said, I don’t want to just live my life and then die.  I want to run the race.  I want to serve the Lord actively with my life. 

As I mentioned yesterday, I’m trying to play more with my kids.  I want to actively engage them and savor up these moments I have with them while they are young.  This fall, the kids and I will be attending BSF on Thursdays.  I am looking forward to the accountability that Bible Study provides for me to get in the word daily.  And now that we’re home schooling, we’re in a new phase of life here at the circus.  One where mom can’t wait till the kids wake up for the day to get started.  I gotta set my alarm and get up first to ensure we start the day on the right foot.  One thing I hope to incorporate with that is some time spent alone in His word in the quiet of the morning.  I’d also like to squeeze a run in there as well. 

I am not a morning person though, so I now this shift change is going to be difficult for me.  I’m great at coming up with new ideals for how I’m going to change, but not so good on the follow through.  I’m so thankful that as I run this race, I have someone running along side me the entire way.  God doesn’t leave us here alone.  He’s with us, encouraging us, pushing us forward, and even picking us up when we fall on our face. 

I learned a valuable lesson last week.  One I hope to take with me as I run this much more important race. 

1 Corinthians 9:24

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Weekend Thought ButtonWhat are you thinking about this week? Why not use your last post of the week to highlight something a bit "deeper" then the average “Momblog” fair?  I’d love to read your thoughts.  Please feel free to write and link up a  “thoughtful” post below.  You can write a new post or link up one you wrote earlier in the week.  Please include a link back to here in your post.

5 comments:

  1. Andrea @ the train to crazyFriday, September 04, 2009

    Wonderful post!! Truly. So right on what I need to be doing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I hope the transition goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,

    So glad I read this before going upstairs. I'm on survival mode myself. And I'm not a morning person. And I feel very much alone in my struggles. You've given me a great start on where I need to head in my time in the Word which must commence right now. It's nice to know I'm not alone and that others struggle with self-discipline and follow through-ness as well. I'll pray for us both tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you. I hate my alarm but I need to start getting up before the kids and taking the time to take care of myself, physically, spiritually, and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great reminder that the race we have been called to is a race of endurance in parenting.
    thanks for your thoughts. i really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)