Christmas Cookie Exchange: Saltine Brittle

, , 16 comments

This year, I was looking for something simple and inexpensive that the kids could work together with me to make for their teachers.   Too much to ask?  I hoped not, but nothing was coming to me. 

And then I remembered this brittle that someone had brought to MOPS a few years ago.  It uses saltine crackers.  And you can pick up a box of Saltines at Aldi’s for 89 cents… which is perfect since I have to make gifts for SS and Bible Study teachers (times 3) plus neighbors and the tutorial teacher and “don’t forget my gymnastic teacher Mom!”

This recipe is delicious, kid friendly, and cheap inexpensive!

First, line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.

Then, have the kids lay the saltines out on the sheet.

IMG_3928

Melt one cup of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla on the stove and let it boil for 5 min. 

Next, you pour this mixture over top of the crackers. Make sure you smooth it out so it covers all of the crackers.

IMG_3929

Place in 350 degree oven until crackers rise and bubble. (approx 5 minutes)

IMG_3934

Then pour a 12 oz bag of chocolate chips on top of the mixture. IMG_3935

Once the chips start to melt, smooth them over the top.IMG_3938

Then you can add chopped nuts on top.  I decided to add Christmas sprinkles instead.

IMG_3942

IMG_3945

Refrigerate for one hour.

IMG_3946

(Yes, I included a picture of the inside of my fridge.  Lovely, huh?)

Then, you simply break it into little chunks and pieces like brittle.

IMG_3948

I do caution you to check the bottom as you pull them up b/c I found sometimes the aluminum foil stuck to the bottom.  

IMG_3951

We stuck them in these cute little bags I picked up at Target…$2.99 for 12!  This recipe made enough to fill 4 of these little bags and save a few little ones for us to taste test.

Saltine Brittle:

Ingredients:

IMG_3919

  • Saltine crackers
  • 12 oz chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • sprinkles or nuts

Heat butter and sugar to boiling. Boil 5 minutes. Line 8 x 11 inch jelly roll pan with foil. Place crackers in a single layer on the pan. Pour butter mixture over crackers. Place in 350 degree oven until crackers rise and bubble. Top with chocolate chips. Spread after chips have melted. Sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour. Break into pieces to serve.

This recipe totally worked for me because it provided a nice gift for my kids teachers that was inexpensive, easy to make in bulk, and most importantly, the kids could make it with me.

I do hope that you will stop by my dear friend Sarah’s blog today.  She’s hosting a Christmas Cookie Exchange.  I’ve always wanted to go to or host a real cookie exchange and have yet to do so.  So, I was so excited when Sarah hosted her Christmas Cookie Exchange today.  You’ll def want to stop by and pick up some new recipes to try for your family and friends this Christmas season. 

16 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...!! One of my favorite recipes and so easy! At our house, we call it Cracker Candy and it gets gobbled up real fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey cool! I'm feeling that I need to do the whole thank you thing too and was wondering what to do! Great idea girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! i may have to do that for my kids' teachers! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered this recipe recently too. It is soooooo yummy! I didn't think to put sprinkles on it but that makes it look so festive :)
    I think I'll let my helpers pour on the sprinkles next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds yummy and easy to make. I love things that are fun and easy to do with the kids. ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a recipe for this just the other day, decided to make it, and then promptly forgot about it. This time I'm adding it to my favorites! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm....... we love the stuff too. it's a palumbo christmas tradition and they call it cracker candy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I have been trying to find this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look great! I will have to add this to my recipe list

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe! I think I've eaten this before and enjoyed it, but never had the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool, I've heard of this before but never tried it...have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This stuff really is so easy and SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, I was actually looking for this recipe because my Mother-in-law makes it (tho she uses graham crackers....also very good!) but couldn't remember the recipe to give it to us. She also tops hers with almonds, a very yummy variation if you like nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make something like this, but instead of soda crackers I use graham crackers, the same butter and brown sugar mixture and add pecans. It's such a yummy flavor. I never added chocolate but I bet that would taste yummy too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)