A Date with my Daughter

, , 3 comments

As many of you with more than one child know, it’s often hard to find one on one time with your children.  I’ve found you really have to be intentional, in order for it to happen.  I’ve also found that it doesn’t always have to be a big elaborate event.  Often it is just taking advantage of the few minutes of snuggle time when one child wakes up first in the morning, or after nap time.  Perhaps it’s taking one kid to the store to pick up a few things.  Sometimes it’s so easy to try and get a few things done while the other two are occupied, but really that one on one time is so valuable, so precious, and so hard to come by.

Every now and then I like to do something more elaborate than shopping or baking.  I like to plan a special occasion for just one child and me.  I don’t have a set schedule or rotation.  There is no system in place.  But I try to keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities when they present themselves.

December 2009 017 Last week an opportunity presented itself for my 3 year old daughter and I to spend a morning together.  The local ballet theatre was giving a performance of the Nutcracker Ballet during the day, especially adapted for children.  It was the abridged version and an wonderful introduction to the ballet for youngsters. 

We got dressed up and went to the show.  She sat on my lap and watched them twirl in their fancy dresses.  Her favorite part was when the Rat Queen died.  (This adaption had a Rat Queen instead of a Mouse King). 

Afterwards we went to lunch at the mall (Chick-Fil-A of course). 

Throughout the morning she kept asking if when her brother and sister were coming.  She really has very little experience of life without one or both of them with her.  I could literally count on my one hand the number of times she’s been out without them. 

While I cherished the look in her eyes as she sat on my lap and gazed up on stage, I think my favorite part was just holding her hand, walking at her pace and listening to whatever she wanted to say.  She wasn’t competing with a sibling for attention.  She had my ears and eyes.   It was truly a treat to be able to spend that time alone with her.

3 comments:

  1. I need to do this soon, I am so Glad you had this chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delightful time! You both look so pretty all dressed up for your night out!

    (And, I certainly need to do the same over here, especially with Caroline.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was so sweet to hear how much she loved everything. espeically the Rat Queen part! you both look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)