Who Said Gingerbread Houses Were For Christmas?

, , 11 comments

Much like the decorating of the pumpkin, the constructing of the gingerbread house didn’t happen according to the traditional time line.  We here at the circus like to do things in our own time, thank you very much!

I mentioned before that this year I decided to go with the kit over baking from scratch.  I bought the kit in early December and kept waiting for that evening when we were all home and not already busy with something else.  I didn’t want to cram it in just to do it, I wanted to enjoy it. 

And so, the gingerbread house was built on January 5th.  Same day I got around to taking the ornaments of off our tree and our decor off the walls.  My son asked if we could keep the gingerbread house out or if we had to take it down too.  I assured him we could keep it up for a few weeks. 

IMG_2640 I was surprised by how much my youngest contributed to the project.  In addition to eating a corner of the the chimney and the foot and leg off of the gingerbread snow man, she decorated an entire side of the roof.  The kids all  had a blast decorating the gingerbread house.  We even survived the roof collapsing and one side breaking into two, with no tears! 

I told Scott next year I might just plan to build the gingerbread house after Christmas and go ahead and wait to buy the kit till afterwards as well.  We could save 75% on the cost and we all had just as much fun doing it in Jan as we’d have had in December (maybe even more). 

For more fun tackles, check out 5 Minutes for Mom.IMG_2631

11 comments:

  1. I so want to do this! Just not by myself...LOL. Will be great fun in the future for Pebbles and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm supporter of gingerbread any time of the year. It is great during the summer with a nice tart lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does it have to be gingerbread?

    Maybe its the ginger that certifies it as a Christmas activity. Make it chocolate bread and you'll have a clear conscience about building without a permit out-of-season! :)

    (Is ginger more structurally superior than other breads?? Isn't ginger an acquired taste like licorice? Somebody at work gave me a ginger cookie today and I was afraid to stop to gas up my car on the way home from work for fear my breath might set off an explosion let me tell ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - and why not do the activities when it brings the most joy - among a more peaceful time. There was enough fun times that you had in December to celebrate the Lord's birthday. Gingerbread houses can now be January fun - with snow fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea of waiting until after Christmas to get the supplies--in addition to the gingerbread kit, all the candy will be on sale too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tackle. When I am desperate during summer rain, we will make grahamn cracker houses. No baking necessary:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!!! I'm all about creating your own timelines....that's why my decorations are still up. :o) I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you! We've been making post-Christmas treats too. You'll have to check out the snowman treats we made. Great tackle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you not letting the calendar dictate your activities and for doing them when you can enjoy them and not just get them crossed of the to do list!

    Have I ever mentioned how adorable your baby girl is? Oh my. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. fun! When my kiddies get bored, we make "gingerbread" houses out of graham crackers and canned frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FUN!!! It's so cute that he asked if you had to put it away too.

    I really wanted to decorate Gingerbread Houses with my kids this year, but we couldn't find a kit and that's not something I had any desire to do from scratch!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)