That's What It's All About...

, , 7 comments

As we were getting ready to go to the tree lighting ceremony downtown my son asked, "Mom, can I tell Santa that he is not what Christmas is all about?"

I love that as we anticipate Christmas, my kids know that we are preparing to celebrate Jesus' birth.  Yes, they know we are going to have presents under the tree, and they even sat on Santa's lap at Scott's work party, but when I asked my son what he likes best about Christmas, he answered, "celebrating Jesus' birthday."  This warms my heart, because the lights, the tree, the songs, the cookies, the presents, the pageants...all of them are meaningless traditions without Christ. 

 

 

But it's about much more than just the Christ child being born in the stable.  Because without the cross that too would be meaningless.  If you'll bear with me, I have yet another video clip to share.  I'll put the lyrics below so you can read them as well.  This song was on the Go Fish Christmas CD I bought for my kids this year and it's become one of my new favorites.  With 5 days left till Christmas, as we scurry around to finish shopping, cleaning, cards, baking and fitting in all of the traditions, let us not forget to take time to reflect on what it is really all about.

 

 

It's not just about the manger
Where the baby lay
It's not all about the angels
Who sang for him that day
It's not just about the shepherds
Or the bright and shining star
It's not all about the wisemen
Who travelled from afar
Chorus:
It's about the cross
It's about my sin
It's about how Jesus came to be born once
So that we could be born again
It's about the stone
That was rolled away
So that you and I could have real life someday
It's about the cross
It's about the cross
Verse 2:
It's not just about the presents
Underneath the tree
It's not all about the feeling
That the season brings to me
It's not just about coming home
To be with those you love
It's not all about the beauty
In the snow I'm dreaming of
Repeat Chorus
Bridge:
The beginning of the story is wonderful and great
But it's the ending that can save you and that's why we celebrate
It's about the cross
It's about my sin
It's about how Jesus came to be born once
So that we could be born again
It's about God's love
Nailed to a tree
It's about every drop of blood that flowed from Him when it should have been me
It's about the stone
That was rolled away
So that you and I could have real life someday
So that you and I could have real life someday
It's about the cross
It's about the cross

7 comments:

  1. That's great! The Husband and I were just talking about why he finds the holidays so stressful and to him its because he sees months of the whole world turning its self upside down to celebrate materialism with some vague feeling of warm and fuzzy good will that do not actually have any actions attached to it. So we made it a goal to make Christ and his birth and death so brilliantly apparent in our Christmas celebrations as to drown all that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry...I love it! Can I steal those lyrics and put them on my blog too? If that's the way your son answers that question, you
    have done a wonderful job teaching him about Jesus! I hope I can do the same for "Pebbles".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just so wonderful! You're such a great mom! It shows in the way your son knows what Christmas is really all about!! These lyrics are so good. I need to look for that album. We love Go Fish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!! Keep up the great job of the ministry to our grandchildren and to those who read your blog. Merry Christmas and Remember the cross. Great way to keep focused for this season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed to read this today. Thank you.

    You are doing a fine and fantastic job of raising your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son told the neighbors that Christmas isn't about Santa, and I have been fielding angry phone calls ever since! Maybe I'll teach him this song as a joyful way to state the truths of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post!! I love that song, I've never heard it before and I will pass it on. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)