Gingerbread Real Estate

, , 14 comments

IMG_0455



My first memories of making a gingerbread house are at my high school friend Katie's birthday party.   It became a tradition.  Each year her mom would bake the houses and make the icing and supply all the candy.  We'd all come over for her birthday in December to decorate our houses.  It was a ton of fun!  We'd sit and talk, sneak candy and decorate our houses.  I believe we made an all night affair out of it.

At least I hope so.

Because take a closer look at what I am wearing.  The good ol' ESLEEP flannel pajama shirt with my jeans.

Stylin'

No one else is in their pjs here.  My one friend is wearing her Ace Hardware Polo shirt so I assume she just came from work.  Did I show up in jeans and a pajama shirt?   Or did I get icing all over my shirt and change into my pajama shirt b/c I was planning to spend the night?  That is the option I am going for.  Because I truly hope I didn't walk around wearing pjs and jeans as my fashion statement in high school.  Though I wouldn't put it past me because I really was THAT cool.

I really did enjoy constructing these homes each year with my friends.  So much so, that I decided we must begin such a tradition in our home.

The first time we attempted it my son was 18 months old.

oops you caught me snacking



He quickly caught on that one of the best parts of decorating gingerbread houses is eating the decorations.  :-)

We didn't get to it the next year... guess I was still adjusting to life with two kiddos.

But the next year we were back at it again.  This time with two eager helpers and one "supervisor."


IMG_7903 decorating the gingerbread house



I learned a valuable lesson that year.   It took three days to build this house.

One to make the house pieces.

One to assemble the house.

One to decorate the house.

I decided after that to wait until the kids were older to make our houses from scratch.  I envision a day when they are older and are excited about designing their own mansions.  We'll each design and build our own and have a whole village on our counter top.

But with three preschoolers, I think the "made from scratch" aspect is lost on them.

This year I bought a kit at BJ's.  It has the pieces already made, the icing ready, and the candy included.  And I think it was actually cheaper than buying all that candy individually.   I'll post pics of that fun at a later date.

In the mean time, clic on over to THAT family to check out more fun from the past!

14 comments:

  1. What a fun memory for all of you.
    That's such a fun idea for a girls party! I better write this one down so I won't forget it when "Pebbles" gets older. She could have her friends over for a slumber party and do this until late in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun.....pajama top with jeans or not! I am thinking about buying a kit for my kids to do this year. I would love to make it a family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how fun. This is one thing I haven't planned this year, but after your cute pictures, I think I'm going to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT first picture is priceless. And, that pajama shirt - LOL!

    I LOVE making gingerbread houses with the kids. I love seeing their awe and wonder at all of the candy. Of course, they crash from the world's biggest sugar high that night.

    You're such a great Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you all had a great time! My kids are 7,5 and 3 and we are still buying the kits, it is really much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun! I debated doing a gingerbread house this year, but I decided to wait until next year when BB is 3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought we would do this in place of making cookie cutter shape ones now I'm thinking three days is tooooooo long!

    Fun post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I am planning to do one of the kits with my kids this year. I can't wait to see the pictures of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like seeing The Circle Of Life come full...circle.

    Circus style.

    Love the pj top...

    It cannot be stressed enough that my OCD cannot handle Gingerbread House making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made my day. Katie sent me your memories about those fun birthday parties. What a fun walk down memory lane I had. You are smart to buy the ready made ones. I still get a "little headache" when I think of all of that dough and rolling and sugar and mess :) Love to your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I had just come from work. That's the only way you'd find me in that getup. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We haven't done a gingerbread house yet this year, but we're still thinking about it. I should by the kit and candy so I can have it as an option when we get bored. Oh yeah - love the PJ top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried a gingerbread house ... but I've seen several people post about it lately. Maybe we should try it at our house.

    Having a gingerbread house building party was certainly a cool idea your friend's mom had. Sounds like she must have done a lot of work getting it ready for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From scratch or not, it still looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)