Your Still the One…

, , 10 comments

It was one of the best days of my life. 

IMG_1531Even though it seemed like the time would never arrive, finally it was time.  The doors opened, and Scott’s best friend began playing Trumpet Voluntary on his trumpet.  And dad and I began our walk down the aisle.  I will never forget the look of love in Scott’s eyes as I walked toward him down that aisle.    I have a picture of his face on my dresser so I can remember it always.  Love… Pure Love… as he looked at his Bride…How in the world was I ever lucky enough to be chosen as his bride? 

We sang a few praise songs, the pastor gave his sermon (I remember him talking about the two becoming one and relating it to chemistry some how)  Then we said our vows

“I Crystal, take you, Scott, as my husband.  I give you my solemn words, as a sign of my faith in you and love for you.  For better or for worse; for richer or for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.  I promise to support you; to undertake full responsibility for you; to shelter and protect you.  I trust you. I will stay with you, never leaving you, and make a home with you after the pattern for Christian marriage commanded by God and described in the Scripture.”

and then we exchanged our rings…

With this ring, I give to you my promise that from this day forward you shall not walk alone.  May my heart be your shelter and my arms be your home.   May God bless you always. May we walk together through all things. May you feel deeply loved, for indeed you are.  May you always see your innocence in my eyes.  With this ring, I give you my heart.  I have no greater gift to give. I promise I shall do my best.  I shall always try.  I feel so honored to call you husband.  I feel so blessed to call you mine.  May we feel this joy forever.  May the glory be to God.  I love you.

We signed our marriage certificates, lit our unity candles and gave flowers to our mothers.   Verses were read, a song sung, prayers prayed, and the benediction given.  It was the wedding of my dreams.  It went exactly as I dreamed it would go, and then…

IMG_1534 after which, we were pronounced husband and wife.

10 years ago, I walked down the aisle of my parents church holding hands with the man I loved.  IMG_1537

We took gazillions of pictures, had a fabulous time at our reception and then were off for our honeymoon.  I remember going to church 2 weeks later and seeing our friends.  “How’s married life?” they’d ask.  And we both would answer, “Married life is even better than I thought it’d be and I thought it was going to be good.”

10 years later and I say the same thing. 

Married life is great.  Truly great.  Marriage gets a bad rap in our society today.  In fact I read the other day that according to the recent census, the number of people married today is at a record low. 

I know everyone isn’t as fortunate as I am.  But I can honestly say, with the technical “honeymoon phase” long passed…4 kids, a dog, a house and 10 years later… Marriage is even better than I thought it’d be and I thought it was going to be good. 

Thank you Scott.  Thank you for treating me with love and respect.  Thank you for making me feel adored and special.  Thank you for working hard to provide for us, while yet, putting your family before your career.

These past 10 years together have been wonderful.  Truly, the stuff dreams are made of.   And in the midst of these crazy years with everyone telling me, “my your hands are full” as we jet to baseball games, soccer practices… as we juggle nebulizer treatments, and pukey kids…while figuring out when we’re going to mow the lawn, trim the trees, and buy a new oven…as I try vainly to keep the fridge stocked and the laundry folded… in the midst of what some might call the mundane of every day life and others might just call the circus… in the midst of all that… thank you for making me feel like #1.  Thank you for coming home to our chaos every day.  Thank for you for choosing me.  For loving me.  For cherishing me. I feel so honored to call you husband. I feel so blessed to call you mine. May we feel this joy forever. May the glory be to God. I love you.

10 comments:

  1. Praise Be To His Holy Name! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute. Looks like Scott is also blessed to have you as his bride! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Can I say I look forward to this time each year to read this your post? You are so in love and its wonderful! Congratulations on 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mutual love and respect you have for each other just oozes from you both. It's so refreshing to see how in love you are after 10 years. Congratulations : )

    I heard recently that most marriages fail because couples don't "hit their stride" until 10 years, and most give up before then ... so statistically speaking, if you thought marriage was good the last 10 years, you're gonna LOVE the next 10... it'll be smooth sailing from here on out : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Crystal, this was absolutely beautiful. The fairy tales have nothing on you two. You are both truly blessed. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 years already!! Seems like just yesterday. How God has blessed your love and devotion to each other and to Him. I agree with Jami - you will love the next 10 years also. Terrific reflections upon your marriage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been rejoicing with you all day! What a wonderful testimony you both are to what marriage can be :-) And trust me, it only gets better!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a privilege to watch you and Scott - to see your family grow and share in your life.

    Congratulations on 10 years! So happy for you that you and Scott found one another and God has blessed you so richly.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this isn't about me, BUT, I have to say that for someone who never thought to pray for a cool sister-in-law, I sure lucked out. I am so thankful that my brother was smart enough to pick such an amazing girl to date in high school... who then turned out to be an amazing woman! Our family is truly blessed by you as a friend and a mother to our cousins/nieces/nephews. I credit your consistant and passionate walk with the Lord for your awesomness. I love you, Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww....so sweet.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)