One Day at a Time

, , 13 comments
A few weeks ago I wrote about our kindergarten dilemma for next year.

After months of praying, discussing, putting of decision making, visiting, observing, and more discussing, I found it refreshing to have it out of  my hands.

IMG_8078 Last week my son graduated from preschool.  At the class picnic I was bombarded with questions about where he would go to school in the fall.  I was telling one friend about our situation and she responded, “Well, it sounds like one of those things that will obviously be God working.”

To be honest, I really felt like he’d end up attending our local public school.

And maybe part of me wanted that to be the answer b/c I was afraid of the other option.  If confronted I wouldn’t have admitted it, but when my husband pointed it out, I realized he was right.

Homeschooling does scare me a little.  What if I mess up?  What if I fail?  I’m great at setting goals, but often not so good with the follow through.  How will I make time for cleaning, laundry, lesson planning, grocery shopping, the girls, and teaching?   And what will my neighbors think?  We are already that family with all the little kids that goes to church on Sunday morning, now we’ll home school too.   I wasn’t so sure I was ready for the stereotypes and assumptions that come with being a home school mom.

So last Saturday, when I got the call from the tutorial director telling me they had a spot open up for my son, I was a little surprised.

I wasn’t quite gearing up for that answer, even though it was what I knew Scott and I felt was right for our family.

And yet, even though it wasn’t in the way I anticipated, just like my friend said, it was so obvious to me to see God working.  I was prepared to send him to our local elementary school.  I figured if a spot didn’t open by June, we’d register him with the county.  And a spot opened up just 3 weeks after we were put on the waiting list! I have all summer to prepare my son for the new routine, and to prepare my house, to look at curriculum, to make a schedule for our family…and as I think about it more and more, I can’t help but get excited.

I can’t wait to teach my son to read! I am excited about having circle time with all three kids.  I am eager to do some of the things I’ve been wanting to do with the kids but haven’t stopped to make the time for.  I can’t wait to give it a try.

And I know that, for next year, this is what God wants our family to do.  I don’t know about first grade yet.  I am not worrying about first grade.  Today, I am preparing for kindergarten.
Matthew 6:34

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


I gotta tell you, I find great peace in taking it a day at a time.


How about you? What’s been on your mind this week? Read something in a Bible study that got you thinking?  Heard a song lyric that touched your heart?  Realized something about yourself that maybe you hadn’t thought of before?  Have a great “aha” moment?   Please share.  I’d love to sit and have a heart to heart with you dear friend.  And thanks to this world wide web, I can.  So do tell, either by linking up below or posting a comment.   I’d love to hear your thoughts this weekend.


1) Muthering Heights
2) Closing Time
3) Home Grown Strawberries
4) Everyday Becky
5) The Train to Crazy

Note: Mr. Linky is not working today. I have my hubby on the job and he is trying to find something to work but in the mean time, leave a comment on the blog and I will move your link into the post. Thanks so much.....

13 comments:

  1. That's amazing! As usual, we will be interested to hear about how this schooling option is working for you, Ms. Family Trailblazer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!! God is so good and faithful.... He will provide whatever you need to succeed!!!

    We plan on homeschooling when my kids hit that age.... I'm not your typical (or stereotypical) homeschooling mom, but I can't wait to teach my kids about reading, writing, math, etc. etc. etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful that God made your decision so clear to you. I'll be praying for you as you make lots and lots of decisions and begin preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am praying for great peace, strength, and grace as you embark on this new phase of life. be encouraged that you have sought the Lord on this, and He has shown you what is best. He will bless you for your obedience and meet your needs in ways you could never imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that God will bless your efforts. You have great experience at teaching, and a real, special love for your student(s)! How can you fail?!?! God will enable you, and carry it on to completion for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin @ Closing TimeSaturday, May 30, 2009

    Thanks so much for linking me up today!! We've been loading the truck all day, and our only Internet is on Phil's phone. I had scheduled my post for this morning, but had not been able to link up yet. I was so relieved to see it was already done.

    It so great to hear that the Lord has opened the door and shown you which way to go in regard to kindergarten. You can be sure that since He has opened this door He will give you wisdom and grace to walk it out every schoolday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went through a similar time of really seeking God for what He wanted us to do about school for our daughters. We prayed, we debated, and then I had to really trust Him for the answer.

    His answer for us was public school, and it has been a really great thing. I'm excited to read about how He works in your family through homeschooling. I love that He has different plans for different kids and different families. You will be an amazing teacher. Your son is very blessed! I used the "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" book with both of my girls. It was great for laying the reading foundation. God bless you this school year!

    Love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Chrystal! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I actually do know who you are--oddly enough, I believe you have known me even longer than you realize...I previously was Ashley Homans and went to AACS (Class of '03) and practically lived at the Anderson's house playing with Andrea and Jen's younger sister Laura. Small world :) Your blog is just delightful--you seem like such a wonderful mom! Thanks for your thoughts...I'm beginning to let go of the fear and simply enjoy the pregnancy without being terrified all the time...I'm hoping in the coming weeks that becomes even easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Crystal, will you ever forgive me? Can we still be blog bff's even though I say I'm going to link up to your Weekend Thoughts and then I don't? I really am terribly sorry. I'm not sure which of my excuses is worse...the fact that I had absolutely no good thoughts or that I couldn't make the time to try and make one up! I'm still not sure where this and most of my other weekends go....

    In any case I will carry on as though you still like me...

    I think you will be a terrific homeschooling mom and that this tutorial is the best of both worlds for your family. I can't wait to hear how you get your little Circus crew all ready for fall! I know you will predominantly be working with your little man, but I can't help but think that your middle child will also glean a lot from your teaching as well.

    I'll be praying for you along the way. I really will. That's not something I'll say I'll do and then won't....I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very exciting. I'm having a lot of that same anxiety over here but I still have another year to sit with it.

    I've had SO much on my mind and I'm dedicating much of this week to it on my blog. Today I'm just reminded of why I'm thankful (complete with gratuitous pictures of my laundry and dirty dishes).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad the Lord answered your questions so much quicker than you thought :) It sounds very similar to what we do. Have fun this summer with organizing and preparing. Your days will be just as full as they are now, and I am sure you'll gain lots more blog fodder :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to tell you this, but you are the perfect homeschool mom ;P

    I am coming up on year 5 now with Gwen! I can't believe how the time has flown by, and that I can ow be considered a veteran homeschooling mom. Every day is a challenge and I can honestly say a JOY. HSing has made me more faithful in my relationship with the Lord (ex: daily devotions- NEED them now!) and has brought so many wonderful memories. I LOVE being my kids' teacher and having all those God-talks that come up in the middle of math!

    The first 2 years are hardest when you have to fight "doing it all" and perfectionism because of fear of man and what others will think (as you alluded to in your post), but it is so fun to see the lightbulbs go on in your childrens' little minds!

    Have fun, and FB me if you ever need to talk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So neat to see how God has lead you guys - you'll have lots of blog material as you venture into this new area! I think you'll be a wonderful homeschool teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)