Changing the Font….

, , No Comments

The other night I was speaking with my child about her words.  What was of particular concern to me was the way she said things.   I told her she needed to apologize for something and she said “sorry” in that voice that didn’t sound at all like she was sorry.   I told her she didn’t sound sorry.  I told her that she needs to be mindful not just of what she says but HOW she says it. 

And she replied, “Mom you don’t know how I feel.  You can’t tell if I am sorry or not just by the way I say it.  You think you can, but you don’t know.  It’s just like changing the font on a paper.  The words are the same no matter what font you use.  Changing the font doesn’t change their meaning.  And the way I say something doesn’t change the meaning.”

I disagree completely with her on this.  But, once again she stumped me.  I decided to respectfully disagree and take up my point again at another time because it was late and I was tired and I didn’t want to engage in a battle at that moment.   But, I applauded her clever simile.  She’s quick that girl.  And has kept me on my toes from the very beginning. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)