Sparkle

, , 2 comments

One of the things I came across while packing for our move was a bottle of jewelry cleaner.  As soon as I found it, I scrubbed my wedding rings.  As I did, I realized it had been quite awhile since I had cleaned my rings.  As I scrubbed,  the grime became more and more apparent.   I couldn’t believe how brilliantly they sparkled after I cleaned them. 

When Scott first came me my engagement ring, I couldn’t take my eyes off of it.  I cleaned it every day.  I would get distracted gazing at it as it sparkled in the sun.  Even as a new bride, a year later, I was still so careful about cleaning it weekly.  Never wanting any dirt of grime to build up and dull my beautiful rings. 

Now, I am not so careful.  Sure, I’ll take my rings off if I’m mixing up some ground meat or delving into something truly dirty.  But, the day in and day out grime of life seems to slowly cake on them.  And even though I hadn’t noticed, it started to effect their shine.  They didn’t quite sparkle like they used to. 

And I wondered if there might be a little lesson about marriage as I cleaned my rings that afternoon.  Am I letting the day in and day out grime of life slowly cake on to our relationship also?  Do I take the time to make sure it sparkles?   I don’t want to take Scott for granted nor do I want to let our marriage dull over the years. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I need to go clean my rings! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a gentle way to think about maintaining a relationship. Lately I've noticed my husband walking out of his way to stop and give me a kiss while heading of to do something for one of our kids or around the house. It's a small quiet gesture, but it definitely adds a sparkle to our marriage in my eyes, just to know he sees me. Thank you for offering me the moment to consider it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)