Bird Watching

, , 7 comments

When I came out to the kitchen to make breakfast this morning, I felt a cold draft.  I then noticed my son sitting in the sliding glass door. 

IMG_6199

He told me he was listening to the birds in the backyard.  They were offering up a beautiful melody.  One thing I love about life with small children is that they help you to stop and take notice of the everyday miracles in the world around you.  How often do we just sit and listen to the birds? 

After awhile though, I was cold so I told him to put a coat on and sit outside to listen.  He made some toast and took his breakfast outside on this cold February morning to spend some more time with his beloved birds. 

IMG_6205

As is often the case, it didn’t take long for his younger sisters to follow his lead. 

Check out their bird watching attire. 

IMG_6209

IMG_6212

On mornings like this, I love the flexibility of home schooling.  I love that we can just start our day a little later and let them follow their whims a bit.  We can’t let their whims direct our entire day, but it was a sweet start to our morning. 

7 comments:

  1. i would loved to have joined them for breakfast on the porch! what a sweet family you have. surely bird-watching is in your curriculum somewhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to start the morning. A lot of people seem to be having a good morning today. Must be the smell of spring, or just getting out last night :-) hope the rest of your day is just as awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bird-watching heart is right there with them :-) What a great way to start the day. My feathered friends are so happy that I cleared a path through the snow, and brought them some much-needed food. They make my heart happy to see and hear them also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so cute! I does make us remember that we need "to stop and smell the roses" once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a "tweet" blog. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if they would enjoy those Bird magazines at Jen's house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precious!! And their whim was actually a practical science lesson...how great that they can listen to the birds sing and take the time to enjoy God's creation rather than just reading about birds' songs in a book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)