I Finally Found My Niche in the Craft World

, , 6 comments

You all know that the really talented crafty genes somehow skipped over me in the family tree.  My girls are not going to get their wedding dress sewn by their Momma like I did.  In fact there is a lot of doubt as to whether or not they’ll ever get the pajama pants I set out to sew them a year ago. 

But, I think I may have stumbled across a medium which I can do, and do with confidence.

hot glue

Don’t worry, I have no aspirations of hot gluing their pajama pants or anything like that, but I did however make 3 of these this week. IMG_6188

When I stumbled across a picture of one of these on pinterest (don’t ask too many questions, I don’t fully understand it and def don’t utilize it fully, but I have seen some cute ideas on there), I instantly fell in love with it.

It reminded me of the bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils that Tom Hanks writes about in You’ve Got Mail.  (LOVE that movie… one of my all time favs)

So, I set out to make one for each of my child’s tutor for the first day of school.  They both really liked it. 

But, I wanted one too.  After all, I am their teacher too, right?

Soooo Crystal the mom stayed up till 11:00 making this vase so that the next morning when Crystal the teacher went downstairs to the school room she could smile at her cute little teacher vase.

Yes… that’s right I made myself a present and bought myself flowers.  That’s not the point… the point is, if I, the genetically craft challenged girl can make this, than so can you.  It took an empty spaghetti sauce jar (those Classico ones worked great), A LOT more pencils than I had originally estimated (yes a second trip to Target was required to finish my present) and hot glue. 

easy peasy lemon squeezy

Since I couldn’t find any directions on the picture I pinned on pinterest, I just went and googled “pencil vase jar” and found this.  So, if your looking for an inexpensive cute idea for a teacher, might I suggest you bookmark or pin this idea. 

Warning:  even though this vase looks super cute on your homeschool table… it might heed you to remember that it is filled with water, and sitting on a table filled with important papers, and 3 children.  One might want to move said vase to another location when you begin working if one didn’t want to stop everything to quickly grab your papers, put them on the floor, and wipe up water…not that I would know from experience or anything…

6 comments:

  1. You are on a roll my dear! Look at you being all crafty, being super blogger (and being so witty in said blogging), and homeschooling to boot!! I need to take a page out of your book and possibly even make one of these snazzy pencil vases for Noah's teacher. Or maybe I'll just settle for a blog post getting written...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vase!!!

    And the reference to "You've Got Mail' made me smile. My husband and I were just laughing over the movie last night. He's doing a singles retreat with the Army this weekend and mentioned he might show a movie on Friday night. My suggestion??? "You've Got Mail" He couldn't believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A job VERY WELL done my sweet daughter. Looks very "class-y" Had to laugh about the water though! Will take note for upcoming class time here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you! I am genetically challenged as well, and my mother is completely the opposite. She made my wedding dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go be your crafty self! And I love that you spilled it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are laughing with you! What a great post! I love that you even got yourself the flowers! :) I'm glad you can love hot glue... and, for your kids' sakes, still appreciate its boundaries (pj pants :) )

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)