Babies Don’t Keep

, , 8 comments

My lil guy isn’t a newborn anymore.  I’ve known it for awhile.. he’s eating solids, vocalizing, and working on crawling.  But, recently, I also realized his days of simply sleeping in my arms are fleeting.  He’s working himself into a rhythm… sleeping through the night… taking 2 solid naps a day…The days of just holding my tiny, sleeping newborn in my arms are over. 

So on those random Sunday afternoons when he falls asleep in my arms, I am going to stay put and savor the moment.  I’m not going to lay him down, no so much out of fear of waking him, but out of fear of missing the all too fleeting moment. 

IMG_8118

“Dusting and scrubbing can wait 'till tomorrow
For babies grow fast we learn to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.”

-Author Unknown

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh..I can't believe how big he's getting!!!!!!!!!! Aww...those days seem soooooooo long ago for me!! Well, it is..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally stealing this poem for my status today : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your poem. He is growing so fast they sure don`t stay as babies long but he has more things to do. He will want to keep up wit his brother. Hat is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post brought tears to my eyes. Love those fleeting moments that are gifts. Glad you had such a sweet one on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the sad day I realized Eli wouldn't be falling asleep in my arms much either anymore. But not worries! I'm making another one! And you can borrow him anytime you like. :) Unless he's busy in my arms, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Tear!* What a sweet post! What a heartwarming post! How is it possible that he's getting so big? (Said while looking at my own who's a full blown toddler now...sigh).

    I'm a little jealous of Stella...wish I was "making another."

    Enjoy every moment like that you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I know! I know! Just yesterday in the early morning, JackJack woke up, so I went and nursed him and then held him for 20 minutes because I could. Because he's not going to be my baby for much longer and I want to savor every chance I get!
    I'm so with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post..... I think that is one of the reasons I've nursed each of my babies for so long. Now that the biscuit is 18mos, the clock is spinning too fast. I enjoy those fleeting hugs and truly believe that my kids smell like chocolate. ahhhhhhhhh...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)