Love and Marriage

, , 2 comments

I remember when my son was in kindergarten he came home and told me he asked a girl in his class to marry him.  “What did she say?”  I responded. “No. So I told her,why don’t we wait till we are older to decide.”   I cautioned him that should he ever want to propose again, he should talk to us first and then talk to the girls parents first.

I remember this so vividly b/c I knew, I knew there would come a day when he would balk at such a discussion.

And apparently that day fell somewhere in the third grade.  I don’t remember when, but sometime this year, kissing and girls and love and marriage all became totally disgusting to him.  Watching Mom or Dad give each other a quick peck is one of the most horrible, grossest sights known to man…. or at least this 8 year old man.  

And I know, just like I knew back in kindergarten that it won’t be like this forever. 

However, his little sister doesn’t know this. 

One night as she was getting ready for bed she started crying and said, “Oh Mommy what are we going to do?  What will “my brother”  do if he’s all alone with no one to love him?  If he never gets married, who will he have to love him and be with him?”  I assured my tearful 5 year old that if he decides to never get married, he’ll still have us.  He won’t be all alone b/c we will still love and care for him. 

Then this weekend at my parents I heard her telling my Dad how her brother “is never going to get married b/c he doesn’t want to kiss…But, I definitely do want to get married!”  To which my dad reiterated that neither of them needed to worry about getting married right now.   

DSC06780

EEEK!  I can just tell this girl is going to give me trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I LOVE the implication that although her brother doesn't want to kiss, she most certainly does. So cute!!! And she seems like a deep diehard romantic for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and son have been playing let's get married recently. Pretend marriage they tell me... Well, my daughter announced that she is ready to get married for real b/c she has been taking care of pretend babies for more than two years, so she is ready to be a mom. She even slept in her "wedding dress" i.e. flower girl dress given to her for dress-up play.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message (No account needed, you can be anonymous)